Thursday, August 28, 2014

Kiss Me, I'm Green!

My first taste of matcha powder came as most Americans' probably did — in a Starbucks Green Tea Soy Latte. God, those things are good. Of course, they squirt lots of flavored syrup in them, and they're loaded with calories. But a Starbucks tea latte is a nice treat every once in awhile.

When I decided I wanted to start making matcha at home a few years ago (to save on those calories), I couldn't find matcha powder anywhere in Memphis! Not even at Whole Foods (our WF may carry it now but not back then). I finally stumbled on a bag at an Asian market way, way out in the 'burbs. It was a big bag, but that was okay. I needed it to make Isa and Terry's Green Tea Cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. Anyway, the remnants of that bag have been lurking in my pantry ever since. I'd say for at least four years.

And then Kiss Me Organics offered to send me a free bag of their Matcha Powder to review here. I was blown away by how fresh this powder is! Maybe I just haven't had matcha that hasn't been lurking in a pantry in awhile, but damn. The first thing I did was google "matcha smoothies" and this recipe from Gena's Choosing Raw blog popped up. This is a Vanilla Avocado Matcha Smoothie.


It's (mostly) fruit-free, which is nice sometimes when you're tired of banana in every smoothie. It just had avocado, matcha, and vanilla protein powder. I added some dates and agave because it wasn't sweet enough for me. The avocado made the smoothie thick and creamy, and the lack of lots of sweetener meant I could really taste the matcha.

Of course, I had to try a homemade Green Tea Latte.


I may or may not have covered this in rice whip after this shot was taken. But still yet, it's far less caloric than Starbucks with only 60 calories per cup! And it simply contains matcha powder, almond milk, water, and bee-free honee. I used a simple formula from the Kiss Me Organics recipe book, a PDF file that they send every customer.

By the way, that book is filled with all sorts of crazy ways to use matcha – everything from cocktails to French toast to pizza dough to tiramisu. I wish I'd had time to make something more exciting, but for some reason, I just wanted to drink my matcha. I also tried a smoothie recipe from the Kiss Me Organics ebook — Berry Good Morning Smoothie.


This had orange juice, strawberries, blueberries, banana, and matcha. And then I added a scoop of Vega One berry protein powder to make it a complete meal. This was my breakfast this morning, and it was so good. I love the combo of berries and OJ. And the matcha gave it a special wake-me-up kick.

Kiss Me Organics is offering a 15 percent discount on purchases of their matcha powder on Amazon through September 30th. Enter the code "3HTOZAIU" on either the American or Canadian Amazon site to save! And they'll also send you that awesome recipe guide.

4 comments:

theveganscholar said...

This stuff looks great. I definitely want to give it a go. Cheers for the discount link :)

Unknown said...

Hallo Bianca, schöner Blog.
Ich liebe Matcha, toll im Smoothie!
Viele Grüße aus Deutschland von Anfrieda!

Kim said...

Haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet, but I have heard lots of good things about matcha.

Lesley Eats said...

Just got mine. Can't wait to try it out in some recipes!