Thursday, August 5, 2021

Purple Hull Peas, "Fried" Green Tomatoes, & Juice!

I got some Purple Hull Peas in my CSA last week, and even though we had just eaten lady peas the week before, I was excited for more peas! Nothing says summer like a bowl of peas and cornbread. I made these in the Instant Pot with some chopped onion and veggie broth. The cornbread sticks were made with my recipe from Cookin' Crunk.

I also got green tomatoes in my CSA, and I wanted to do some classic fried green tomatoes. But Paul has been nervous about eating fried food due to his diverticulitis. So we made Air-fried Green Tomatoes instead! I used my recipe from Cookin' Crunk, which calls for frying in oil, but instead, I sprayed them with a little non-stick spray oil and cooked in the air fryer for about 6 minutes per side. I mixed up some mayo and ketchup for comeback sauce for dipping.

I had some leftover air-fried green tomatoes, so I made a Fried Green Tomato BLT  for lunch the next day using Smart Bacon and leftover comeback sauce. Really tasty!

And here's a fresh Pitaya Juice from Juice Bar at Crosstown Concourse! Juice Bar closed at the start of the pandemic, and they JUST reopened last week — conveniently a couple weeks after we went back to the office. So I can get fresh juices and smoothies at work again! Yay!

1 comment:

Sri said...

Ohh my goodness a fried green tomato bacon sandwich sounds like the greatest invention!