Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Last Meals at My Parents' House!

My parents are moving away from Jonesboro, Arkansas! That's my hometown, where I lived the first 21 years of my life. It's only an hour from where I live in Memphis, which has been really awesome. But they're retired now and want to live on a lake, so they found a new house in Cherokee Village, Arkansas, about 2.5 hours from Memphis. It's on a lake, and they're just down the road from Spring River (a prime place to kayak!). So that's exciting!

But I was sad to say goodbye to my childhood home. My parents bought the land their house is on before I was born. They bought a trailer, and we spent the first few years of my life in that trailer. But by 1986, they'd built a house on that land. It was an underground house, which was always such a cool thing to live in as a kid! I went to Jonesboro over the weekend to spend the night in my old bedroom one last time. My dad never let me get on the roof when I was a kid, but I convinced him to let me last Saturday!

I got there on Friday night, just in time for dinner! My mom picked up some pizzas from Uncle Maddio's. I'm gonna miss Uncle Maddio's! They have vegan cheese, so it's always a great option for takeout when I'm visiting Jonesboro.

After dinner, my mom served these little Peach Tarts she'd made with vegan cream cheese, vegan whipping cream, graham crust, fresh peaches, and vegan Reddi Whip. Soooooo good! 

The next day, I went for a 15-mile run at Craighead Forest Park. I always loved that park as a kid, and it was a nice shady place to get some miles in on a hot day.

After my run, my mom had brunch ready! She made Just Egg, Vegan Sausage, Homemade Biscuits, and Hash Browns. And my dad made us some Bloody Marys because brunch!

I spent the rest of the afternoon there, going through old stuff of mine in the attic. And then Sheridan and Drew came over to celebrate Sheridan's birthday. But more on that in tomorrow's post!

I'm happy for my parents, but I sure will miss this house!

4 comments:

Cadry's Kitchen said...

Aw, that has to be hard! My parents still live in my childhood home, and it's really special to be able to return to it. But you're going to have a lot of fun adventures at their new lake home, so that will have perks too. There's nothing like living on the water.

Hillary said...

This must feel so bittersweet!! It's weird when something makes you happy and sad!
Your parents always make you the best looking vegan food, you know that won't change!

Jenny said...

Wait just a minute! I feel like you glossed over some fun facts here. You lived in a trailer for the first few years? And your house was an UNDERGROUND house??? How does that work? I'm imagining that it's on a hill, and the other side (not in the picture) is open. And... was this literally the first time you had been on the roof? I know as a kid I would have been trying to sneak onto the roof all the time.
Good luck to your parents in their new adventure! A lake house sounds awesome. But I know it's hard to say goodbye to your childhood house. I hope whoever moves in has a little kid who's excited about it!

Susan said...

How did I never know about your house being an UNDERGROUND house? How has this never been mentioned? Loved how you just casually dropped that in there. Also, impressed that you were able to restrain yourself from climbing up on the roof until now.
What a bittersweet moment to say goodbye to a place that has so many memories.
I hope their move goes well.