Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Stuff I Ate: Workout Edition

When I was pulling out pics for this week's Stuff I Ate post, I realized I had a bunch of pre- and post-workout meal pics and a bunch of totally junk food meal pics. So I figured we'll go healthy tonight with a round-up of workout-related meals, and tomorrow, I promise to give you doughnuts and gravy (not in the same meal though because gross).

Last Saturday, I ran 18 miles! That's my longest distance yet. I'm training for the St. Jude Marathon in December, and it'll be my first. I'm a super-slow runner, and 18 miles takes me about fours, so fueling is very important. I've started experimenting with having oat cups before my long runs because they're perfectly portioned and fun to eat. They leave me filling satisfied for at least five miles. But after last weekend's run, I realized that I need to add some fat. So next weekend, I'll have oats with nut butter. These Kroger brand Moroccan Spice Oats were spiced with cinnamon and ginger. Yummy.


During my long runs, I need lots of snacks. I like to have a gel or bag of energy chews every five miles. Not only do the carbs digest quickly and give me energy, they also give me something to look forward to. I'm always telling myself, "If I can run just one more mile, I get a snack!" This Saturday, I packed a Clif Strawberry Gel, GU Salted Caramel Apple Chews (they're vegan!), and Huma Cafe Mocha Gel. Huma gels are made with chia seeds and real fruit, and they're definitely the healthiest of these three, but they're also the most expensive. And Huma doesn't make nearly enough flavors to keep me from getting bored. Also, while I typically love the GU chews, I wasn't crazy about this flavor. I'll stick with the fruity berry ones from now on.


After that run, I re-fueled with a thick and creamy Mocha Almond Butter Protein Smoothie — Vega Sport Mocha protein powder, unsalted almond butter, cashew milk, and banana.


Protein smoothies or FitQuick protein waffles or doughnuts are my usual post-workout go-to. But I've been mixing things up lately with some new protein foods. I found these Orgain Organic Nutrition Plant-Based Protein Shakes at a health food store in my hometown. They're yummy and great for on-the-go. I had one with a bagel post-workout last week.


I'm also loving Lenny & Larry's Complete Cookies. They're vegan and contain 16 grams of protein! I picked up a box of the White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies last weekend. I had one with a Sweet Tango apple after my Tuesday run. Cookies for breakfast! Yes please. This is why I run. :-)



4 comments:

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

those cookies are so good.

Bethany said...

You know what is good, CHEAP fuel while running? Dates stuffed with coconut oil (or manna, if it's hot outside and the oil is liquified!) Dates provide the quick boost and coconut oil is a fantastic, easily digestible and usable source of calories. You could also try dates stuffed with almond butter. I made dates stuffed with coconut oil for a half-marathon and just wrapped them in a bit of plastic wrap...didn't make a lot of trash, and easy to open. Good luck with your marathon training! It's awesome seeing you set goals and then achieving them!

Unknown said...

That is a LOT of running...! Those protein cookies are SO good! The peanut butter and macademia nut are my favorites. I also really love those orgain drinks for when i can't make my own smoothie - i ordered a bunch online when i found a good price since buying them one by one was a lot more expensive.
I know they make refillable squeeze packs for baby food and such, maybe you could make your own chia gel..?
Ttrockwood

Jennifer said...

I was just about to post about dates as a good running snack! Bethany beat me to it XD I hear a lot of runners who do long distances say they have a little baggie of dates that they nosh on every few miles. I am sure you could also make some sort of energy ball that have the dates blended with a nut or oil (which would probably hold together fairly well as temps drop)

I also remember reading how Born to Run suggests just tossing chia seeds into your water with some lemon so you can refuel and rehydrate at the same time.