Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Tofu Puffs & Vegan Chicken Spaghetti!

On Friday, we were iced in after a major ice storm that hit Memphis on Thursday, leaving 140,000 homes without power (and many are still waiting for that power to be restored five days later). We somehow escaped damage to our home (from falling icy limbs and trees), and we never lost power. But it was cold!! So on Saturday, Paul and I were craving the tofu pho from Pho Binh. It's the best cold-weather soup in Memphis (and possibly the only vegan pho in Midtown, but I'm not certain). 

Unfortunately, a call to Pho Binh for takeout revealed that they were closed due to the power outage. So we took things into our own hands and made Vegan Pho at home. We stopped by the Viet Hoa grocery store (thankfully not out of power) for rice noodles, tofu puffs, bean sprouts, and fresh jalapeno. I already had some vegan pho broth cubes at home. It wasn't quite the same, but it hit the spot.

We had a bunch of tofu puffs left over, so I used the rest to make a Tofu & Veggie Stir-fry for dinner on Sunday. This made a ton, and I'm so glad to have enough left for lunch tomorrow!

Backing up, my lunch on Sunday was this plate of Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Vegan Chicken and Marinara. I had some leftover Gardein Scallopini from last Wednesday's Imbolc feast, so I pan-fried that and chopped it up atop some spaghetti with marinara. This was really good! I used a no-sugar spaghetti sauce since I'm trying to keep my sugar down to 25 grams or less per day (jarred pasta sauces tend to be very high in sugar). 

3 comments:

Susan said...

These all look wonderful. I am glad you escaped any damage from the cold. Your homemade pho looks like a great option. How fun are tofu puffs? I don't get them often, but I always love them when I eat them.

Jenny said...

I just learned about tofu puffs yesterday, and it blew my mind. (So THAT'S how Pho Binh makes their lemongrass tofu!) Happy to see where I can buy them locally and might even be inspired to try them soon!

Kristen Boyden said...

I found this Googling "tofu puffs Memphis" specifically to find out if they have tofu puffs at Viet Hoa. Of course they do! Enjoyed the post and recipe ideas! #38104Cooks