Friday, February 4, 2022

Imbolc Eats!

Wednesday was Imbolc (aka Candlemas) — a Gaelic traditional festival marking the beginning of spring. Of course, actual spring doesn't start until next month, but this is the time when we acknowledge that spring is coming back soon. It's no coincidence that it also happens to be Groundhog Day (RIP, Milltown Mel). 

The holiday is traditionally celebrated with dairy products, specifically goat or sheep cheese because this time of year was associated with baby lamb and baby goat season (when the mothers were providing milk for their babies). As a vegan, I can't have goat or sheep cheese, but I can veganize anything! I used the 2022 Sabbats Almanac book, which has a few Imbolc recipes, for my feast. 

There was a recipe for Goat/Sheep Cheese Dip, so I subbed Trader Joe's feta for the goat cheese and Kite Hill Greek unsweetened yogurt for the yogurt in the recipe. TJ's feta is awesome! But much like Violife's version, it tastes very much like goat cheese, so it was perfect for this herb-y dip. Trader Joe's also had the rainbow carrots and rainbow cauliflower!

The book also had a recipe for Citrus Chicken, so I used Gardein Scallopini. The chicken is marinated in citrus juice and ginger (I used blood orange and lime juice) and then baked in the oven. It was really good, especially paired with some garlic green beans!

After my feast, I whipped up some vegan hot cocoa (using the vegan Swiss Miss) with Bailey's Almonde and Dandies and sat on my porch as I watched the cold rain come down. 

We'd wake up the next day (Thursday) to ice-covered trees, which have been dropping branches ever since. Much of my city is without power, but thankfully, ours is still on. During wintry weeks like this, I'm so glad Imbolc reminds me that spring is coming soon!

3 comments:

Jillian said...

Where did you find the Gardein Scaloppini?! I love them, but haven't been able to locate them anywhere! I live about 30 mins south of Oxford, MS; so driving to Memphis to find these delights is a non issue!

Bianca said...

Hi Jillian! I actually haven't seen them around here either! My mom got these at a health food store in Jonesboro, AR. I've looked for them at Kroger, Whole Foods, and Sprouts here, and they never have them. :-(

Susan said...

I just finished writing my Lammas post! I always love seeing us celebrating the opposite seasons. Your food looks lovely, great way to veganise things. It's so fun how easy that is most of the time now.