Thursday, August 27, 2020

Review: No Bull Dairy-Free Ice Cream!

You scream, I scream! We all scream for ice cream! Growing up, I remember my Me-maw had ice cream every day (maybe she still does?). It was her very favorite thing. I was a weird kid and didn't care for sweets at all, so back then, I didn't get her undying love for creamy frozen desserts. But something happened when I went vegan in 2004 – I developed a sweet tooth! And a love for ice cream!

Since going vegan, I've sampled as many vegan ice creams as I can get my hands on. I love the almond-based ones and the coconut ones. Even the soy-based ones (anyone remember Tofutti?). But nothing comes close to the oat-based ice creams. Those are jam these days. There's something about the creaminess of blended oatmilk and the natural nutty sweetness of oats that just makes me feel all tingly inside. And now there's a new oat-based frozen dessert that's just fantastic! Meet No Bull Dairy-Free!

They offered to send me some ice cream to sample, and I was pleasantly surprised to see EIGHT FLAVORS! There's Vanilla Bean, Blueberry Pie, Double Chocolate, Peanut Butter Fudge, Mint Chocolate Fudge, Caramel Apple Pie, Sea Salt Caramel, and Strawberry Frappe. It's non-gmo and sustainably sourced!


I opened them all up and sat outside on my back porch with a spoon. That's the hard life of a food blogger! Somebody had to do it! I even took notes.

All of the ice creams have a very creamy texture. There's no iciness at all. And there's that yummy hint of oatmilk flavor that's present in all of them. Surprisingly, I found that I liked the fruity flavors the best — Blueberry Pie, Strawberry Frappe, and Caramel Apple Pie. I'm typically one who prefers vanilla or peanut butter flavors over fruity or chocolate. But that's because most fruity creams tend to remind me of sorbet. Not these! The creamy factor is high on the fruity flavors, and due to the nuttiness of oats, they really taste more like a fruit pie than a fruit sorbet. The Caramel Apple even has a gooey ribbon of caramel running through it.

Here's a very melty pic of the Blueberry Pie (my number-one pick!). It's hard to photograph ice cream outside in the Memphis heat. But I wanted to share this one anyway because the color is so beautiful!


After the fruity ones, I'd say Peanut Butter Fudge would be my next pick because, well, peanut butter. This one is thick and creamy and really reminded me of the fudge I used to love to get from candy shops in my pre-vegan days.


Mint Chocolate is super-minty with a very generous chocolate swirl, and the Vanilla Bean has so many flecks of vanilla that it almost looks like chocolate chip. No Bull does not skimp on flavor! Sea Salt Caramel's delectable gooey caramel ribbon makes it hard to put the pint down, and the Double Chocolate is creamy and rich, like a chocolate hot fudge cake. 

Y'all, I think I have a new favorite vegan ice cream! And with all this ice cream in my freezer, I'll be eating ice cream every day for awhile. Me-maw will be proud. 

3 comments:

Susan said...

Yay for ice cream! I love ice cream. Except for most of the coconut ones, which make me sick. My favourites are the So Delicious Cashew based ones, so good. And I love a good old soy ice cream. So Good Soy Ice Cream has been a fixture in Australian supermarket freezers for ages. I did really like Tofutti ice blocks, especially the ones that were kind of floral, but we don't get Tofutti ice cream here any more.

I have never tried an oat based ice cream! But I would really like to. To bad these don't ship to Australia, because they look great. Especially the strawberry one. Strawberry is my favourite ice cream flavour, but it is really hard to find a vegan one and even then they may not be good.

Hillary said...

I've always loved soy ice creams!
I was immediately wanting to try the blueberry pie! I think oatmilk is a really good milk for ice cream too. I always feel like oatmilk has a little sweetness from the oats, so it's a great dessert milk.

Zoe said...

Wonderful Blog.... Thanks for sharing with us...
gifts for mom ideas
homemade gifts for dad from daughter
best new baby gifts