Monday, October 18, 2010

The Day After My 30th Birthday (or Happy Birthday: Part Two)

Birthdays always last at least a week in my world. There's the party night with friends, the party day with family, and the random meet-ups throughout the week before or after my birthday with friends who can't make it to the actual birthday celebration.

Sunday, the day after my 30th birthday, was the family birthday party. But the day started at my friend Vaughan's house for brunch. Vaughan threw me a sweet-ass birthday party on Saturday, and my friends Sheridan and Drew, Greg, and my boyfriend Paul and I spent the night. The next morning, Vaughan's girlfriend Barbara cooked up Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes and Waffles with Fresh Blueberries:

After brunch, I made the hour drive to my hometown of Jonesboro, Arkansas to eat more cake and open more presents with my Mama, Daddy, Granny, Pa, Me-maw, and my cousin Sarah.

My family LOVES Mexican food, so tacos with soy crumbles and Daiya cheddar seemed like a natural choice:

On the side, my mom made her fantastic Mexican salad with kidney beans, black olives, corn chips, lettuce, more Daiya, and French dressing. We know French dressing is not Mexican, but that's how we do in Arkansas:

Mama also made some homemade guacamole:

And some tasty Spanish rice:

We all stuffed ourselves silly with little room left for cake or pie. But that didn't matter because two of the most delicious desserts ever were waiting to be consumed. I requested my mom make me a vegan ice cream cake. She'd never made an ice cream cake, but you couldn't tell after a bite (or 10 bites) of this tasty Chocolate Cake with So Delicious Coconut Almond Chip Ice Cream and Chocolate Ganache:

Granny brought over her cocoa-licious Tar Heel Pie:

I'm converting this pie into tarts for my cookbook, so you'll be seeing more of this soon. It's super yummy.

Gifts from the family ranged from the complete My So-Called Life DVD series, a badass mosaic skull box, a kitty wall clock, a peace sign ring, clothes, and Hello Kitty PJ pants. Plus, Granny hooked me up with a stockpile of home-canned pickled okra, regular not-pickled okra, and combo jars of okra, corn, and tomatoes:

Though he didn't get to enjoy any cake or pie, my doggie Datsun also thoroughly enjoyed himself. My dad bought him a new ball, so it was kinda like his birthday too:

Question: How do you celebrate birthdays? Do you drag it out as long as possible? Or do you keep your birthday a secret?

21 comments:

T said...

That's funny, in Germany birthdays also seem to last at least a week, with everyone you know wanting to celebrate. I prefer to pass to another year quietly, but the less you want to acknowledge it the more everyone else does...

And oh my gee, My So Called Life + homemade guac sounds like the best birthday ever! Can I come next time? :)

Millie said...

The Beatles say it better than me. Enjoy Birthday girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjF1bG5LUcs

Dianne said...

Wowee, look at all that delicious food! I'm usually pretty shy about my birthday, but I guess everyone likes an excuse for a party! Happy 30!

Allyson said...

wow.. 30?! Veganism is treating you VERY well, girl! Looks like you had a great celebration with your fams, great food, and one happy pup! Happy Birthday!

The Health Sensei said...

Datsun rules! What a dog, what a name! :) lol seriously we need more pics of him

Amanda @ Hungry Vegan Traveler said...

Wow! I'm impressed with your mom's cooking skills! Is she vegan, too? Looks like you scored some great gifts, too (you had me at "My So-Called Life" DVD set).

I really wish my birthdays lasted longer, but at the same time, I kind of dread them. I guess it's because they've never been big events and I always back out of planning a big party for myself. (Too stressful!)

Jessica said...

More great birthday desserts! I love the homemade ice cream cake - might have to try that myself.

I normally don't make a big deal about birthdays, but I'll be 30 in a few months so maybe I will do that one up bigger. My So Called Life was a huge deal to me when it came out - great gift!

jessy said...

birthdays last a good week for me too, Bianca! hooooooray for more glorious 30th birthday celebrations. time with family to celebrate is always the best, and look at all the delicious grub you all feasted on! hells yeah! mexi themed eats are some of my favorite as well - and your mom kicks ass with the ice cream cake. waahooooooo! mzomg - my so-called life + homecanned goodnesses = the best ever! here's to one helluva 30th birthday! yay!

Kelly said...

Happy belated birthday! Man, that birthday cake is EPIC (and I do not use that word lightly). I love the theme, too. I'm all over parties that require costumes!

Erin said...

French dressing on the Mexican salad, love it!

I'm in between with birthdays - I definitely like to do something to celebrate, but don't drag it out for longer than a day or two. I usually at least take the day off of work and start with a good breakfast, and have some sort of get together. I wanted to have a big party for my 30th this year, but I was sick (pout), so I'm thinking next year will be my make up 30 + 1 party :)

Leslie Richman said...

Yay! Awesome celebration. I like to drag mine out!

Anonymous said...

I like to secretly and quietly celebrate my birthday with my husband. But I married into a big and quite functional and normal family so we always have a big family party too. Please post more pictures of Datsun! And about your birthday gifts, I think Hello Kitty is the coolest and I'll never grow out of her.

StephORama - VegFortWorth said...

Happy birthday!

That tar heel pie and ice cream pie look amazing! And the tacos! What a perfect birthday feast!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Oh Yeah,.... That one Hippie... said...

Omg the food looks BOMB!!!! is your family vegan too?

Celebrate my birthday a few days of the week, usually dine out at a vegan restaurant in Malibu.
:)

WWW.thatonehippie.blogspot.com

Sophia said...

Happy Birthday! What a great Birthday you've had, what a lucky girl!
I love mexican food!
Datsun looks like such a happy boy, he looks just like a male version of my Mom's dog.

Sophia
http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/

Kris said...

My So-Called Life + canned granny goods= birthday WIN! Happy belated b-day!

Sheridan said...

Yay!!! Your family bday sounds like it went well! And more awesome gifts!!!

misss_e said...

Ooo it all looks delish. What kind of soy crumbles do you find taste the best? I tried morningstar and hated them.

Anonymous said...

Отличная статья! большое спасибо автору за интересный материал. Удачи в развитии!!! :)
--
http://www.miriadafilms.ru/
[url=http://mpeg4.com.ru/index.shtml]Ужасы скачать[/url]

Anonymous said...

Почему регистрация не работает ?