Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Bluff City Vegan Eats: Three Angels Diner

When I went vegan in 2004, I could count maybe three restaurants in Memphis with a decent selection of vegan options expanding beyond the typical veggie burger/salad fare. How far we have come! Today, I can name a pretty decent list of restaurants that not only offer vegan items by request, but actually print the word "vegan" on their menu.

One such place is the new Three Angels Diner in the Broad Avenue Arts District. This kitschy little cafe opened a few months ago, and though they have several meat dishes, their vegan options are impressive. I met my buddy Pat there for lunch today and ordered the Momma Veggie Sandwich:

That might look like plain white tofu, but it was actually baked and quite flavorful. It was complemented by roasted red pepper, thinly sliced red onion, vegan mayo (yes, they had vegan mayo!), olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. So, so tasty. And the perfect size for lunch — not too big, not too small.

Sandwiches at Three Angels typically come with a side of chips, but they're happy to switch those out for a fresh vegetable dish for an extra $1.50. All of their veggie sides are vegan, and today's offerings ranged from mashed potatoes to sauteed snow peas to arugala salad to these yummy Roasted Carrots and Butternut Squash (my choice of side):

These were lightly cooked in oil and seasoned just right. The thin slicing ensured that all pieces were thoroughly cooked.

Pat ordered a meaty main dish, so I won't show you that. But her Cucumber Salad side looked delightful with its cute little sliced radishes:

Next time I go to Three Angels, I'm totally ordering the mock egg salad sandwich (made with tofu and vegan mayo). I've heard it's delicious!

Three Angels Diner is located at 2617 Broad Ave. Call 901-452-1111. They have a website, but it's not so great yet.

9 comments:

Halfbloodpixie said...

Lucky!
Vegetarian options in the UK are aweful!
We do have a vegetarian cafe/restayrant in Edinburgh! But it's not the same especialyl when you go out with friends.

Josh said...

Hi, I just wanted to say thanks for posting these periodic vegan reviews of Memphis restaurants. I moved to the area not too long ago(actually, to Oxford, MS, so not so close), and it's been so helpful.

Josh

Jessica said...

All that food looks really good. I'm glad to see a dressed up tofu sandwich! And all the vegetables vegan? That's a rare find.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! The colors are just BEAUTIFUL!

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

OH yum. The sandwich looks awesome. And the veg looks great- I should roast carrots when I cook my butternut this week.

Unknown said...

That looks yummy! I will have to disagree with you Mulanxox about vegetarian options in the UK. I think that they're great, especially in London!!!

Millie said...

I am planning to spotlight and feature throughout the month of November cookies that vegans can enjoy for the Holidays.

I would like for all the vegan bloggers on my blogroll to participate.

I would like to include you as one of my blog guests for that month.

Every 4 days I will highlight one of my vegan bloggers from my blogroll with their photo and their best holiday cookie recipe, which will highlight their blog and the written information they send me about themselves and their recipe for those 4 days.

After the 4 days I will highlight another blogger friend. Once I have highlighted you, you then need to post it on your blog sending your blogger friends towards my blog to see your guest post.

Make sure your recipe is not complicated.

If you are interested to join me fir the month of November with your best vegan or raw cookie recipe, please email me all the information I have requested by October 20th.

Your entry must be in writing and sent to me via email. I need you to send me a photo of yourself and a photo of your family. In your summary tell me a little bit about yourself, where you live, your marital status, your career and of course your recipe complete with the recipe & a photograph of your cookies. Please let me know whether you are participating or not...I truly appreciate your response.

scoobynana2@hotmail.com

Thank you.

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

We love this place!

Amy

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That sandwich looks ridiculously tasty! And I love the idea of radish in a cuke salad.