Sunday, March 4, 2012

Freezer Clean-Out Week

My freezer has gotten out of control. It's seriously like Hoarding: Buried Alive up in there. With the frozen half-eaten bags of veggie dogs and burgers, the ridiculous number of vegan ice cream pints, and the individual meal-size portions of leftover soups and stews, it's impossible to find anything without pulling everything out of the freezer and moving it to the kitchen counter.

So I'm trying to cook most of my meals this week from my freezer, and I'll post my daily freezer eats here each day this week. I kicked off Freezer Clean-Out Week tonight with this plate of Dijon-Pecan Seitan, Cornbread Dressin', and Broccoli with Vegan Cheese Sauce:

The broccoli was fresh and the cheese sauce came from the powdered Leahey Gardens mix. But everything else was from the freezer. I had about a cup of frozen seitan (not the gluten-free kind) leftover from the last time I had to make it, and I dug out some pecans from the depths of my freezer. So I used my recipe for Dijon-Pecan Seitan (from my cookbook, coming out soon), which is basically mustard-battered seitan rolled in pecans and bread crumbs.

I also found a few servings of my mama's Cornbread Dressin' leftover from Christmas dinner. Not too shabby for a freezer meal, huh?

9 comments:

Ali - YumVeggieBurger said...

oy, that sounds exactly like my freezer! I'm glad you are posting these meals, hopefully it will motivate me to clear out some of the hoarded stuff in my freezer this week too (so many boxes of veggie burgers...!)

Lorrie Haley said...

I'm trying to do the same thing with my cupboards. I have all of these random boxes half eaten noodles and whatnot. Sometimes when you are broke that's when you actually have all the food you need in there lol!

Allysia said...

I wish my fridge was full of vegan ice cream and etc!! And yeah, that's totally a good-lookin' freezer meal, but thank god the broccoli was fresh. Frozen broccoli is........sad.

Babette said...

I don't understand how people can have more than one pint of ice cream in their freezer... The ice cream I buy never stays there for very long, unless it's bad and I forget to toss it out.

Your freezer meal looks fabulous. And that recipe for dijon pecan seitan is calling me.

Sheridan said...

I honestly do not freeze enough things. I kind of wish I did, so I could just go in there and make a meal some nights. Your "freezer meal" looks great! I love the sound of that seitan recipe too!

Amey said...

yes, I also have a freezer problem. And a pantry problem. I've been working on my freezer lately too. It seems like spring is the time, because then all the fresh fruits and veggies come back and there is nowhere to freeze them!

Katie said...

So... do we get to see a pic of your jam-packed freezer? :P Let's see a before and after pic!

And damn... that dijon pecan seitan sounds mighty fine.

and_i_say said...

My freezer isn't out of control right now, but it has its moments. I do like to freeze back chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, homemade seitan cutlets, homemade veggie burgers, and tomato sauces when there's extra left from meals. I tend to package them with parchment paper between servings, so I can easily take out what I need in the future. I am currently trying to go through my pantry supply of beans, since I'll be traveling quite a bit over the next few months.

Erin said...

Looks like a really delicious meal actually! I am in serious need of a freezer clean out too, stuff literally falls out whenever I open the door.