Thursday, October 27, 2022

Borscht, Sprout Salad, and Stir-fry

I've rejoined the Bring It Food Hub CSA after letting my membership lapse for about a year. I love getting bi-weekly fresh produce bags so I can eat as locally and seasonally as possible (without having to squeeze in a Saturday visit to the farmers market). A few weeks back, I got beets in my CSA, so I made the Roasted Beet Borscht from Veganomicon. I knew I wanted to find a borscht recipe and figured there'd be one in there. And of course there was! It was simple and warming.

On the side, I had some sourdough bread with the New Classic Hummus (made with home-sprouted chickpeas and lentils) from The Sprout Book, plus a Sprout Salad (also from that book). I'm loving all the fun ways to use sprouts in Doug Evans' book!

The night before a 10-mile race last weekend, I made a quick bowl of Garlicky Kale Pasta from The Fiber Fueled Cookbook. This is such a simple dish to whip up when you're low on ingredients and need something hearty and healthy. It has an olive oil sauce, which is a nice change from red sauce.


And speaking of my CSA, here's a recent Green Bean Tofu Stir-fry made with green beans from last week's CSA bag. The tofu was a baked, 5-spice tofu from my local Asian market, and I made a quick sauce with soy sauce, ginger, garlic, chili paste, sesame oil, and cornstarch. Served over brown rice. 

No comments: