Monday, October 24, 2022

Belated Birthday with the Parents!

As a Libra, I do birth week (okay, more like birth month) and last weekend, I celebrated my birthday with my parents. My actual birthday was October 16, but my parents live in Arkansas, so it's a bit of a drive to visit them. And I had lots going on my birthday weekend in Memphis. So I headed to their house last Friday. Pretty soon after I arrived, we hit up Chokdee Thai Kitchen for dinner. 

This was a very tiny little Thai place in Ash Flat, Arkansas (population: 1,200), and yet when I ordered my Pad See Ew with tofu (hold the fish sauce), the server knew what vegan meant! I was very impressed. Also, this was my parents' first time trying Thai food, so they also ordered the Pad See Ew. It's my very favorite Thai dish, and it's always a go-to at any Thai restaurant.

This Pad See Ew was so good! And my parents loved theirs too. For an appetizer, I ordered the Summer Rolls with peanut sauce. 

After dinner, we met up with some of my parents' friends at the Spring River Draft House.

I ordered the Mother's Brewing Co. Mr. Pumpkin Ale, because it's October! Pumpkin everything!

Later, we had some delicious Lemon Cake with Lemon Oreo Buttercream that my mom made. I love lemon flavors so much, and this cake was perfect. Soft, moist, not too sweet.

The next day, my mom made Vegan Breakfast Casserole with Impossible sausage, vegan cheddar, Just Egg, biscuits, and gravy, plus a side of hash browns. Sooooo yummy! I could eat this everyday.

I had to leave Saturday afternoon, but before I hit the road, my mom and I got out the kayaks for a quick spin around their lake. It was very windy, so we really had to work to paddle back to shore. But it was fun and probably the last time we'll get in the lake this season. 

5 comments:

Susan said...

I love that you get maximum birthday fun!
Your order is the perfect order for a Thai restaurant.

Vegkat said...

Love the sight of that cake! Wish you and your mom wrote a family recipes cookbook.

Jenny said...

I'm impressed that the Thai place was able to accommodate a vegan request- we've come a long way! And as usual, your parents win the Awesome Award- all the food looks delicious!

Bianca said...

Hi VegKat! We did! My cookbook, Cookin' Crunk, is a mix of my recipes, my mom's, and my granny's!

Vegkat said...

Just bought your book! Can't wait to try the recipes.