Monday, March 22, 2021

Happy Spring!

Saturday was Ostara, the Spring Equinox! Summer is my favorite season, but I love Spring! This has been a long, cold, boring winter (thanks COVID), and I can't wait to sit on patios and ride bikes and go on picnics. I always mark the changing of the seasons with fun themed meals, and this past Ostara was no different. 

Traditionally, Ostara is celebrated with eggy dishes, so for me, that means tofu eggs! I had more of my leftover eggless egg salad on a Spring Onion Scone from LuLu's after my 8-mile Saturday morning. 

And for dinner, I made Isa's Caramelized Onion Quiche from Vegan Brunch (with some added kale from my neighbor Dennis' garden). This quiche is made with tofu and cashews, and it's long been my go-to quiche recipe. On the side, I had some Beyond Sausage.

I also made a Peach Caprese Salad with Miyoko's mozzarella, fresh basil, pea shoots (from the farmer's market), olive oil, and balsamic. This was a fun twist on the traditional tomato caprese. 

For dessert, I had a LuLu's Molasses Rye Cookie. This oversized chewy cookie was so good! It's not as sweet as your typical cookie, and it has a fresh rye flavor.

And I washed it all down with a Blackberry Mint Grapefruit Mimosa (with fresh, local mint). This refreshing drink has champagne and grapefruit juice!

1 comment:

Hillary said...

Spring is my favorite season! Everything is fresh and new, and it just feels hopeful. Too bad spring is like three days here in SLC!!
I always love your themed meals! I tried to make a quiche or a frittata when I first went vegan and it was such an epic fail I've never tried again!
OMG< I love grapefruit juice, why have I never thought of a grapefruit mimosa? Brilliant!