Wednesday, March 28, 2018

More Stuff I Ate

More random meals! I went home to Jonesboro, Arkansas on Sunday to get my dad to help me with my taxes, and my mom decided that we should also just go ahead and celebrate my dad's birthday while I was there (it's April 3). Ha! I would have planned some kind of dessert for us, but I didn't realize we were doing birthday too. Anyway, she made a celebratory meal of filet mignons for them and a Grilled Beyond Burger for me, topped with sauteed mushrooms and served with Grilled Vegetables, Baked Sweet Potato, and Garlic Toast. Delicious!


Months ago, when I was in Nashville visiting my friend Greg, I picked up some Nashville-made BE Hive Seitan Slices. I thought I'd grabbed the filets, and I planned to use them in a dish sometime, so I threw the seitan in the freezer until I was ready. Well, turns out that I grabbed the slices, which I noticed this week when I was thawing it out. And what a happy accident! The seitan is super thinly sliced, like deli meat, so it's perfect for sandwiches. I made this sandwich with Follow Your Heart Pepper Jack, mayo, lettuce, and tomato. I plan to make some philly cheesesteaks with it later this week. I'll be back in Nashville later this month, and I can't wait to get more BE Hive Seitan. It's the best I've ever had!


Leftovers! This is the Sausage & Collards I made for Ostara and the Colcannon (with gravy!) that I made for St. Patrick's Day.


I've been all about smoothie bowls this week! I had this Green Kiwi Apple Banana Bowl (base of banana, kiwi, apple, spinach, and Vega One Natural protein powder, topped with Natural Grocers' bulk pistachio mulberry granola, hemp seeds, and raspberries) after a 4-mile run on Monday.


And I had this Mango Green Smoothie Bowl (base of mango, banana, and Vega Coconut Almond Protein & Greens powder, topped with more pistachio mulberry granola, fresh mango, and coconut flakes) after a 5-mile run on Tuesday.


On Monday night, our Crosstown Memphis CDC hosted the Crosstown Cop Stop — where neighbors meet officers who patrol our neighborhood — at Midtown Crossing Grill. Owner Octavia is on the CDC board with me, and she provided some awesome vegan options in her spread of free food for the neighbors and cops. The police (and myself) were all about the Bianca Banh Mi (her vegan tofu banh mi) and Black Bean Corn Salad. She actually said the police requested healthy options! Of course, there was also BBQ and non-vegan pizza, but the tofu banh mis were gobbled up quickly.


3 comments:

Hillary said...

Happy Birthday to your dad!! That's awesome that the vegan choices were gobbled up. That always makes me happy!

Sarah said...

Yay, happy birthday Papa Crunk! What great looking meals! I love that it is the Bianca Banh Mi and it looks awesome. I also love that the vegan choices go quickly! Your mango green smoothie bowl looks so amazing as well. I bet it is delicious.

Moby said...

You’re waiting for my comment? Then wait no longer, for I am commenting.
- Pauly D