Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Breakfast for Supper

When I was kid, every once in a great while, my mom would break the rules and fix breakfast foods at dinnertime. Somehow traditional morning fare tasted better in the p.m. Maybe I'd had more time to wake up and appreciate the taste of those scrambled eggs (was vegetarian back then, not vegan), biscuits, and hash browns.

Tonight, I made a Southern breakfast delicacy — Chocolate Gravy & Biscuits:



It was so delish, I couldn't stop licking the empty pan or the spoons I'd used to stir the stuff. I only allowed myself one biscuit, split in two, and a small serving of scrambled tofu. I'm watching portion sizes as a New Year's resolution. But I could have eaten the whole pot of gravy in one sitting.

I made scrambled tofu with mushrooms, carrots, and red onion. I prepared it in my new cast iron skillet, and it really made a difference in the taste. It had more of a "grandma homemade" taste. Seriously. I'm loving this cast iron thing!



BTW, the biscuits are my own special recipe Butter Soymilk Biscuits. They're also going in my cookbook. The gravy's going in too. But I'll share that recipe. It's quite simple really.

Chocolate Gravy

1 Tbsp. soy margarine
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder

Pour soy milk and vanilla in a medium-sized mixing bowl. In another bowl, combine sugar, flour, and cocoa. Mix well. Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir until cocoa lumps are dissolved.

Melt margarine in a small saucepan on medium heat. Pour in cocoa milk mixture and stir continuously until sauce begins to thicken. When the mixture has reached a gravy-like consistency, turn off heat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of biscuits & choco gravy-that's so odd! When I first saw the picture I thought it must have been the fake nutella stuff from Vegan sweets offered at Pangea. I really want to try it now, I'm about to make biscuits anyway!

Bianca said...

Ooohhh, have you tried that fake Nutella stuff? Chocoreale! I have some of that at home at too. And it's awesome on French bread. What's scary though is the nutrition info is all in some other language. And there's no way to tell how much fat is in it.

Dianna Dalton said...

Breakfast dinner = the shit when I was a kid! There's a Notella recipe in 'Nomicon.