Thursday, January 18, 2018

Reclaim & Revolt, Day 18

I can't believe this Reclaim & Revolt program is almost over! There are only four more days of lessons left (we get emailed lessons every Monday through Thursday, and weekends are catch-up times). I've learned so much on this wellness journey, and I'll be sad to see it go.

Today, Hannah sent us a primer on herbs for gut health, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Looks like I'll be catching up on a lot this weekend!

This morning, I woke up at 5 am and had another half an energy bar and then hit the streets for a 3-mile run. It was still very cold. I'm getting really tired of this running in the cold. It's hard to move in all those layers! Luckily, it's supposed to warm up this weekend. After my run, I had Lacy's Peanut Butter Chia Pudding with Cinnamon Simmered Apples. This is a yummy chia pudding that I added protein power to (recipe didn't call for it). I also used low-fat powdered PB2 instead of creamy peanut butter since I'm learning it's best to save fat for later in the day (not right after a workout). It's topped with warm cooked apples. So good!


For my morning snack at work, I had the rest of last night's Southern Staple bowl from Imagine Vegan Cafe. This was brown rice, black beans, collards, and garlic sauce. I had this around 10:30 am before my lunch time yoga class at the YMCA at Crosstown Concourse.


For lunch, I brought the last of my kale quiche and some beets, but just as I was heating up my lunch, a co-worker came in with some delicious vegan food he'd made to share — Pasta with Olive Marinara and a Tofu Curry Salad. It looked so good, and my poor quiche was on day four, so I decided to save the quiche for a snack later this week and eat his food instead! I did eat the Steamed Beets I brought — another tester for Straight from the Root. These were sous vide-style beets that I tossed with tarragon vinegar. I'll do a full review of these sous vide veggies soon.


I was proud of myself for deviating from my planned lunch. I'm not very good at spontaneous eating, but I'm really trying to get better at trusting my intuition around food and not being so rigid. 

I made sure to save room for dessert! When I got home from work, I tried out the other new Ben & Jerry's flavor that I was sent yesterday — Cinnamon Buns! I didn't take a pic, but I'll be doing a full review of both new flavors after R&R is over.

Dinner was Lacy's Potato Bowl with Black Beans and Chipotle Tahini Sauce. This was a gorgeous and hearty bowl with roasted potatoes, red onion, broccoli, and kale that's topped with seasoned black beans and a tahini sauce with chipotle powder. I've never had a bowl with a potato base rather than a grain base, but what a fun idea!


Tonight was our weekly girl's night at my friend Shara's house. We gather at her place every two weeks to watch shows, and we're currently working through American Horror Story. After all that bowl awesomeness (and ice cream!), I wasn't really hungry for snacks, but Shara made popcorn, so I couldn't help but have a few handfuls. 

3 comments:

Sarah said...

That chia pudding with warm cooked apples is exactly what I need in my life! I have to figure out the best way to cook apples since I haven't figured that out yet. The potato bowl looks incredible as well! I can't believe you are 18 days in already. It's been going so quickly!

Hillary said...

That chia pudding with warm apples is everything I need in my life!!
I could have told you potato bowls are THE BEST!:)

Jennifer said...

tahini + broccoli = love