Monday, November 24, 2014
Crunk For the Holidays: Cookin' Crunk Giveaway!
And what's more awesome than a big ol' bowl of comfort food for Christmas? Nothing! And my book contains about 150 recipes for delicious vegan comfort dishes, all based on recipes I grew up eatin' in my Arkansas hometown. So if you're looking for a good holiday gift, you can find signed copies here on my blog (just click the PayPal link on the right side of the page) or you can get 'em at a discount on Amazon, because Amazon.
Or, if you're lucky, maybe you'll win a signed copy! As my little Thanksgiving "thank you" to all of my readers, I'm giving away a signed copy. All you have to do is leave me a comment here letting me know your favorite Southern dish! Be sure and leave your email address so I can find you if you win when I randomly select a winner next Monday!
And just for fun, here's a rundown of my five very favorite dishes from the book.
1) Country Fried Tempeh Steak with Soymilk Gravy - Beefy marinated tempeh is coated in a seasoned flour and fried until crisp. And then the oil is retained in the pan to make a creamy soymilk gravy. Hot damn.
2) Fried Green Tomato & Tofu Sandwich - Slices of firm, tangy green tomato are coated in breadcrumbs and cornmeal and served with slices of baked tofu that's been marinated in a sweet 'n' spicy soy sauce. Both are stuffed into a sandwich with homemade maple-Dijon sauce.
3) Tempeh Gumbo - Chunks of tempeh and slices of fresh okra are slow-simmed in a rich, roux-thickened, tomato-based broth with celery, bell pepper, and onion.
4) Seitan and Dumplings - Chewy whole wheat dumplings plump up in a thick and silky vegetable broth with Yukon Gold potatoes, carrots, and green peas.
5) Old-Fashioned Coconut Pie - Sweet coconut flakes, vegan butter, and sugar are thickened into a custard and served in a whole wheat pie crust. Swoon. Recipe is here.
So there ya go! Of course, my favorites change all the time, so ask me again next week, and I'll pick a few different things. And I tend to gravitate toward the brown food and fried stuff, but that's just me. There are plenty of baked things and green things in the book, too, if that's what you're into. Anyway, leave a comment to enter! And please don't forget to leave your email address so I can contact you if you win!