Monday, November 15, 2010

Vegan Mofo: More Barbecue!

Remember last night when I said Memphis was built on barbecue? Yep, still true. Rock 'n' roll and barbecue. That's what we do here. I can even do barbecue two nights in a row ... how rock 'n' roll is that?!

This time, I went the "dry rub" route with the final version of my BBQ Dry Rub Seitan Ribs:

Y'all have seen these before in various stages of development. But I've finally got the recipe where I want it. The 'cue flavor in these tender "ribs" comes not from a sauce, but from a combination of spices and a hint of brown sugar.

I served my ribs with a helpin' of my Cheezy Broccoli Rice Casserole:

Not the best photo, I know. But it's hard to make a casserole look nice. You can see a prettier shot here from last December. I don't know about y'all but I grew up eating a not-so-healthy version of broccoli rice casserole — loaded with Velveeta, white rice, and condensed cream of mushroom soup. I promise mine is way, way healthier! But still tasty.

In case you're wondering about a cookbook update, I'm in the home stretch. I have until the first of January to finish testing and make the final edits before submitting my manuscript. That's why you've seen so many test recipes lately.

Don't forget to enter Rick's Nacho Mama Vegan Queso giveaway over at the Health Sleuth blog!

Back on the 'cue theme, what's your favorite vegan way to enjoy barbecue sauce or rub?

22 comments:

Jackie Smith said...

I like my bbq sauce on a Boca burger with onion rings, sweet potato fries on the side.

Jen Treehugger said...

YUMMAH YUMMAH YUMMAH!
I like BBQ sauce on pretty much everything - I've even put it in a sammich before.

The Edgy Vedgy said...

ohmygosh! so YUMMY. this looks AMAZING. i defiantly miss vegan homecookin! i'll defiantly be making this broccoli next week.

Kara Hadley said...

I love baked tofu marinated in BBQ sauce. and BBQ on massaged kale salads is pretty damn awesome.

Anonymous said...

Those look great! I'm not the biggest BBQ fan, but I won't turn down a BBQ tofu sandwich if offered!

Selena said...

Love bbq tofu that I've placed on broil to get all caramelized. Served with a side of southern collard greens and rice and a piece of cornbread!!

T said...

I had a big discussion with a short-order cook about American bbq sauce the other day, and he mentioned that his favorite kind is from Memphis. (You have to appreciate how difficult this word is to pronounce for Germans, its more like "mensthes"). Looks like a fabulous meal!

miss v said...

i love to make bbq pulled pork sammie with green jackfruit. and i *loved* your tempeh bbq tester recipe with the slaw.
just the other day i whiped up tofu and pepper bbq casserole. and i put it on veggie kebobs all the time. i'm from kansas city which means i eat tons of bbq.

JohnP said...

I'm here for the broccoli casserole. And I'm not leaving until you hand it over!!

Jessica said...

Broccoli casserole without velveeta or canned cream of mushroom soup? For shame. I would totally try that. I can't wait.

I love barbecue sauce mixed with vegenaise on french fries. I also like dry rub spices on tofu.

The Health Sensei said...

we've been using BBQ sauce lately in a dish with chicken-of-the-woods mushrooms (great texture 'shrooms for BBQing) and wilted greens....deeee-lish!

Anonymous said...

I fell in love with BBQ seitan this summer. We found a really delicious BBQ sauce online that is now our go-to recipe. It's so good I'd probably eat it on anything.

liz said...

slow cooked bbq tofu is the bomb

jessy said...

i'll take all the barbecue i can get. another droolworthy barbecue post, Bianca - and i think your casserole looks delicious! i love putting a little puddle of vegan ranch right next to a little puddle of barbecue sauce....then i dip tots or fries in a little bit o' both. so yum!

Kelly said...

Ohmuhguh. I wants it. I don't think I've ever even had any sort of cheesy casserole... it sounds perfect with that BBQ awesomeness!

Unknown said...

your seitan looks awesome! i love barbecue anything, i can't wait for your cookbook!! :)

Theresa said...

Ooh, BBQ seitan. yummy.

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

Ooh, BBW seitan looks delicious! And I loooove cheesy broccoli.

I am avoiding gluten right now due to my eczema (sexy, I know - try not to be too jealous), but I am going apeshit on some seitan as soon as I can eat it again!

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait to hear ur speaking voice Bianca
sometimes when I read you I can just imagine it.
How are u coping with the deadline coming up
Breathe:)

Mihl said...

Wow, Bianca, those ribs look incredible!

The Vegan Snorkeler said...

Looks great! So excited about the book!

Erectile Dysfunction said...

You have a very good blog that the main thing a lot of interesting and useful!