Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Engine 2 Food Journal, Day 10

I'm almost done with my 2 weeks on Engine 2! I've been following this oil-free, low-salt, low-sugar plan pretty well, but I've made plenty of room for treats and dining out. And that's because, going forward, I'd like to make most of my home meals as Engine 2-friendly as possible because I definitely feel best when I'm eating less oil. But I also don't want to deny myself sweets and plant meats and vegan cheeses when I want them.

Yesterday started off with another neighborhood walk/run (yay! my foot feels great right now!) followed by a healthy breakfast of Oats with Fruit, Flax Seed, and Almond Butter. Ahhhh, almond butter. So glad this stuff is so good for me!


Morning snack was more Texas Armadillo Tater Tots (aka baked red potatoes in hummus) from The Engine 2 Cookbook. And then lunch was leftover Black Bean Soup as seen in yesterday's post.

But then came afternoon snack time, and well, I wanted ice cream. So I had some! I work upstairs from Area 51 Ice Cream in Crosstown Concourse. They always have a vegan sorbet on the menu, and this week's offering was Sweet Tea Sorbet. I'd walked past the ice cream counter so many times and couldn't stop thinking about that sorbet. So I got some!


This was REALLY sweet, just like my mama's homemade sweet tea. I'm not used to so much sugar, so I definitely felt it. But it was worth it.

Dinner was my favorite Engine 2 meal so far! I made the Beer Biscuits and True Grit Gravy, both from The Engine 2 Cookbook. I mean, beer biscuits y'all!


These are whole wheat drop biscuits with a little beer for flavor, and they're topped with an oil-free gravy made with mushrooms and sweet onions. So very, very good. God, I love biscuits and gravy. On the side, I steamed some asparagus and only lighted salted it. Yummy!

By the way, I had half a beer can left after making the biscuits, so I had to drink it! Love this Crosstown Brewing Co. Traffic IPA. Locally brewed in the neighborhood where I live and work.


5 comments:

vegan1 said...

I got the book from the library and made the zucchini bread - I thought it was really good! I am going to make the gravy this weekend.

Unknown said...

That’s really awesome your foot is doing better! Your oatmeal is so colorful, i bet that was a delicious combo. Sweet tea sorbet is such a unique flavor, how great to have a shop making fun stuff like that nearby. And those biscuits and gravy are calling to me! Especially with those mushrooms too.... what an all around delicious day this was
Ttrockwood

MikeG said...

I’ve tried the sorbet, not my flavor. The Lemon Icebox is my favourite. I only tried a sample once b/c it’s dairy. Anything with lemons is hard for me to resist.

Traffic is better than Siren from Crosstown. I’m new to IPAs and home brewers but I’m loving what I’m learning!

Your blog is light, fresh, local, and healthy! I digs!

Sarah said...

Whoa! This all looks amazing. I can see why dinner would be your favorite, it looks seriously incredible! THe oatmeal bowl is beautiful and the sweet tea sorbet sounds so unique and yummy. I can see how it would taste extra sweet after eliminating sugar for so long. It's so interesting how quickly your tastebuds change!

Hillary said...

All your food looks delicious as usual! Beer biscuits, yes please!!!
I'm so glad that you're foot is doing better!!!