Thursday, May 24, 2018

Caramelized Vidalia Onion, Mushroom, & Black Bean Tacos

I few weeks ago, I came home from work to find a mysterious box on my front porch. I often receive vegan treats in the mail, but they're usually in small packages. This one was large enough to hold a small dog. I ripped it open to find this!


A box of Vidalia onions! Of course I knew they were coming. A rep from a Vidalia onion supplier had emailed me asking if I wanted some for recipe development. But I'd forgotten, so this was a fun surprise!

Vidalia onions are in season now, and they're only around for spring and summer. Did you know they can only be grown in 20 South Georgia counties and only hand planted/harvested? Fun facts!

I've used these sweet onions in a number of recipes throughout my Engine 2 oil-free challenge, but I wanted to share with you one special recipe that I'm particularly proud of. I made these Caramelized Vidalia Onion, Mushroom, & Black Bean Tacos without any oil! And they taste as decadent as something you'd eat in a restaurant.


You see, you don't need oil to caramelize onions. You can do it with water and non-stick skillet. The key is starting with a water saute until that water is absorbed, and then you continue to cook and stir the onions as they brown in the dry skillet. Once you add the chopped mushrooms, they'll rehydrate the skillet with their natural juices as they cook.

This recipe is also low-sodium, but you can add salt (or buy beans with added salt) if that's not your thing.

Here's the recipe!

Caramelized Vidalia Onion, Mushroom, & Black Bean Tacos
Yields 8 tacos

1 Vidalia onion, cut into thin half-moon slices
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 14-oz. can no salt added black beans
2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
8 corn tortillas, warmed until pliable
8 Tbsp. salsa
1 avocado, sliced
Lettuce, shredded
Tomato, diced
Hot sauce, to taste

Put the onion slices and a couple tablespoons of water in a non-stick skillet, and turn the heat to medium-high. Saute until water absorbs and then continue to saute in a dry skillet for about 8-10 minutes or until onions brown and caramelize.

Add the mushrooms and saute another 5-7 minutes. The mushrooms will brown in the dry skillet at first, but they'll eventually make their own liquid. If you find the mixture to be too dry though, add a tablespoon or two of water.

Add the black beans, nooch, and spices, and cook until beans are heated through.

Spoon onto tortillas and top with avocado, salsa, lettuce, tomato, and hot sauce. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great way to use them! My market has vidalias lately and i keep buying them- i love to do a quick pickle with them (literally just tossed the sliced onion in some white wine vinegar for 15min) and they’re such a tasty addition to salads and sandwiches. I love them grilled the most but lack a bbq of my own-actually just bought a bunch to bring to a bbq party this weekend :)
Ttrockwood

Hillary said...

What a wonderful surprise to come home to! Caramelized onions are seriously one of life's great pleasures.

Sarah said...

Oooh these look amazing! Caramelized onions are pretty much the greatest thing ever. These tacos look perfect!

Susan said...

We don't get Vidalia onions here at all!