Thursday, February 4, 2021

Dumplins, Protein Pancakes, & Blackeyed Pea Stew

On Monday, Imagine Vegan Cafe posted their daily special on Instagram — Vegan Chicken & Dumplins!!! — and I just had to have some. This Southern girl loooooooves some dumplins, and I was excited to try theirs. They were what I'd call "Cracker Barrel style" with more of a thick gravy. The dumplins were plump with bits of vegan chicken. So good! 

Complement Protein Powder had been out of stock for most of January due to a watermelon seed shortage (part of the protein in that powder comes from watermelon seeds), so I'd been using a stevia-sweetened powder that I wasn't crazy about for all of January. Luckily, Complement is back in stock, and I'm back to adding it into oats, pancakes, muffins, you name it. It's unsweetened, so you can really add it to anything! Yesterday, I made my Gluten-Free Protein Pancakes (recipe here!) with some leftover Tofu Sausage.

Look at the little rainbow light catcher reflection on my plate!!

Here's a bowl of Protein Oats with Complement. Lately, I've been topping my oat bowls with coconut yogurt from Coconut Collaborative. It's the thickest, creamiest vegan yogurt I've had! Reminds me of Greek yogurt. The oats have cashew butter, coffee (!!!!), chia seeds, and maple.

And finally, here's a warming bowl of the most amazing stew I've had in awhile! I made this Blackeyed Pea & Collard Stew with Smoky Tahini from the No Meat Athlete Cookbook last night, and IT IS SO GOOD. The stew itself has peas, collards, barley, carrot, celery, and tomato, and it's great. But the smoky tahini sauce really makes it shine. It has liquid smoke, tahini, nooch, and sriracha, and I could drink it. 

3 comments:

Susan said...

Southern dumplings look so different from the sorts of dumplings I think of! Are they some sort of fat noodle type thing?

Bianca said...

Hey Susan! Yes, they're totally different from Asian dumplings. They're basically rolled-out dough that's cooked by simmering in a broth, so they get a little plump. Like fat noodles!

Susan said...

It all becomes clear to me now!!
We also have dumplings here that are kind of like a drop biscuit into a simmering liquid. Dumplings and golden syrup is a classic that I have not had in so many years but now am suddenly craving. They can be savoury as well, which I think I have seen in other US recipes.