Thursday, October 1, 2020

Recipe: Solar Coconut Sunbutter Curry Noodles with Tofu

As I mentioned a few posts ago, I've decided to get back in the kitchen and start creating. I mean, I've BEEN in the kitchen, but I've been mostly cooking other people's recipes since my cookbook, Cookin' Crunk, came out in 2012. That's a long hiatus! 

I've had a few failed cookbook projects since then, but I've not been terribly inspired for several years. I'm not necessarily working on a new book this time. I'm just getting creative for the sake of being creative. If that turns into something bigger, GREAT! If not, still GREAT! As I've been doing my sacral chakra balancing, I'm finding that my creativity is coming back, so why not put it to good use?

Last Wednesday (WOK WEDNESDAY!), I created this yummy sunflower seed butter & coconut curry noodle dish with tofu and veggies. It was really awesome, and I can't wait to eat it again. I'm on a sunbutter kick right now, and I cannot get enough of the stuff! For the noodles, I used buckwheat soba, but rice noodles would work well here too. Or even udon!


Solar Coconut Sunbutter Curry Noodles with Tofu
Yields 4 servings

8 ounces of buckwheat noodles or brown rice noodles

For the tofu:
1 pound extra firm tofu, cubed
1 cup water
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tsp. garlic powder 
2 tsp. sriracha

For the veggies:
2 tsp. sesame oil
1 inch ginger root, grated
2 cloves garlic minced
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 cups broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces
8 ounce mushrooms, sliced

For the sauce:
1 can coconut milk
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp sunflower seed butter (or peanut butter)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp turmeric
Pinch of black pepper

To serve: 
Fresh cilantro, chopped
Sriracha

Mix tofu marinade ingredients, and add tofu cubes. Marinate for one hour or longer (overnight is even better!).

Cook the noodles according to package directions, drain, and rinse under cold water until ready to combine with other ingredients.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place tofu cubes on silpat mat on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.

Combine the coconut milk, soy sauce, sunflower butter, garlic, turmeric, and pepper in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until reduced somewhat.

While the tofu is baking and sauce is simmering, heat the sesame oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the ginger and garlic, and saute for one minute, stirring often so it doesn’t burn. Add the carrots and bell pepper, and saute 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, and saute another 3-4 minutes. Add the broccoli, and saute until broccoli is bright green, and all veggies have reached desired tenderness.


To assemble, mix together the noodles, veggies, tofu, and sauce. Garnish with fresh cilantro and sriracha if desired.

No comments: