Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Bagels, Burgers, and Breakfast Sushi!

I'm so behind at these meal round-up posts, so here are some things I ate a long time ago! Like two months ago! LuLu's – my favorite Friday breakfast spot — now has homemade tomato jam and cashew cheese for bagels, so I got an Everything Bagel with both. Y'all, this cannot be beat.

Another LuLu's brekky! The classic Brekky Sandwich on a butternut squash potato bun with tofu egg, cashew cheese, and carrot (or maybe parsnip??) bacon. They just use whatever veggies are local and in-season to make the bacon, so sometimes you'll get beet bacon. Other times, it could be mushroom bacon. It's always fun to see what the bacon is made from! I got a Sweet Potato Pie Latte with oat milk from Dr. Bean's to wash it down.

A few weeks ago, I had to make a mid-week grocery trip out to Whole Foods, which is about 20 minutes from my neighborhood. There's a great vegan-friendly restaurant out there called City Silo that I only get to eat at when I'm already in East Memphis. So I planned a quick dinner on their patio before my grocery trip and got my favorite Buffalo Cauliflower & Tempeh Wrap (also available as a bowl). The best part of this is the amazing cashew ranch for dipping!

Here's a recent Gardein Chipotle Black Bean Burger on a LuLu's potato bun with Simple Truth vegan pepper jack cheese and a side of Zucchini Parm from the No Meat Athlete Cookbook. I had some zucchini in my CSA, so I whipped this tasty baked treat up as a side. It's breaded with panko, hemp seeds, nooch, and spices.

And finally, here's another fun recipe from the NMA CookbookStrawberry Shortcake & Key Lime Pie Rice Balls! These are in the chapter that covers foods to fuel your workouts, and they're recommended as a "during workout" or "post-workout" snack. White rice breaks down very quickly for quick carbs, which you need to power through a long run or bike ride, and you also need quick carbs immediately after a tough workout. I saved these for after runs because they're a little hard to tote around during my run (unless I leave the bladder out of my Nathan hydration pack and stuff it with snacks, which I have been known to do!). The strawberry ones have fresh berries and chia seeds, and the key lime ones have lime juice and coconut. They're sweet, but they have a touch of sea salt for electrolytes. I love that these are like little breakfast sushi rolls!


3 comments:

Hillary said...

I never knew I needed tomato jam until now. That sounds incredible, especially with cashew cream cheese which I think is the best cream cheese!
And a sweet potato pie latte, that sounds incredible!

Barb said...

That wrap looks like a burrito and I WANT IT!

Susan said...

Cashew cheese and tomato jam sounds amazing!