Monday, February 8, 2016

Taco Cleanse, Day 2

I'm on my second day of the Taco Cleanse! And I'm feeling amazing, because how can you not feel amazing when you're eating tacos for every meal? For one week, I'll be making recipes from The Taco Cleanse, the new satirical "cleanse" book by Austin-based taco scientists Wes Allison, Stephanie Bogdanich, Molly R. Frisinger, and Jessica Morris.

I wanted to try some Taco Yoga this morning, but I had an early morning meeting for work. So I had to skip my workout and just get straight to the taco-eating. Breakfast was the Supreme Bacon, Scramble, and Cheese Tacos from The Taco Cleanse.


These are made with the Wake and Shake Scramble (from the book), the Foundational Tempeh Bacon (from the book), Daiya cheddar, and corn tortillas. Oh my god, this scramble is amazing! When I was in Austin for Vida Vegan Con last May, I had the greatest scramble ever at Bouldin Creek Cafe, and this reminded me so much of that. Rather than scramble the tofu in a skillet, you shake it in a paper bag with nooch and spices (like Shake and Bake!) and bake it in the oven. The crumbled pieces separate and are individually coated. I did take Susan's advice (from Kittens Gone Lentil) and used 1/2 cup of nooch instead of a full cup because that seemed like a waste of perfectly good nooch. Also, the cubed tempeh bacon was out of this world. Love this taco!

Because I had such an early breakfast (6:30 a.m.!), I was hungry again by 10:30. And sadly, I didn't have a snack taco. But I did keep it Mexican-themed with some nectarine sprinkled with Tajin, a chili pepper-lime-salt for fruit. This brings out the natural sweetness in fruit and gives it a fun, spicy kick.


My lunch was leftover Vegan Chicken Fajitas from Imagine Vegan Cafe. And dinner was leftover Totcho Tacos. You can see pics of those in last night's post.

One cannot Taco Cleanse without supplementing with margaritas, and there are plenty of recipes in the book for those. I'll be working my way through the booze chapter this week, but tonight, I started with the very basic Fundamental Margarita — tequila, triple sec, lime juice, and salt. I've rarely had real margs like this. Typically, I order them at Tex-Mex restaurants, and they're made with a mix (probably one laden with high-fructose corn syrup). This pure margarita was so perfect. It had a lot less volume than I'm used to, but it feels good knowing that all the calories in this came from liquor and not extra sugary crap.


5 comments:

Cadry's Kitchen said...

I knew you would love the Wake and Shake scramble!! It is so much like the one at Bouldin. I need to make that again. So good!

vegan.in.brighton said...

I love that you've committed to a week long taco cleanse! I'll be trying the wake & shake scramble as soon as I have an oven again, I loved the one at Bouldin too.

Adriana Robles said...

Taco scientists are a thing? hahah
And I love Tajin; try it on watermelon.<3

VEGETARIAN COURTESYFACEBOOK

Susan said...

Glad the nooch tip was helpful. My friend Amy told me that. Nooch is too precious to waste!

Jennifer said...

Why waste calories on sugar when it could be booze?! XD That's why I love the new adult sodas, takes my cocktails to a new level with spiked ginger ale.