Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy 2014!

Cheers, y'all! Happy New Year!

Don't worry, I didn't drink that whole bottle. I poured a little glass for everyone at my friend Andy's New Year's Eve party last night.


I slept in this morning, ate some ramen and watched old episodes of SeaQuest DSV in my PJs (love Jonathan Brandis!), and then I got dressed to meet up with Greg and Cassi for our traditional New Year's Day brunch at Pho Saigon. A few years ago, Greg started the tradition of us going to this Vietnamese restaurant for Tofu Banh Xeo.


This is a massive rice flour and coconut milk crepe that typically comes stuffed with shrimp and other meats. But we go a little off-menu and ask the server to fill ours with fried tofu and sauteed veggies. I wish I'd taken an inside shot. On the side is a tasty carrot-daikon slaw that really helps cut the grease in this hangover cure of a dish.

For dinner, of course, I had the traditional Southern New Year's meal of black-eyed peas and cabbage. You simply have to have this on the first day of the year if you want money and good luck in the days to come. Some years, I make the Hoppin' John recipe from Cookin' Crunk, but this year, since I'm still getting over the flu, I opted for the quickest, laziest dish.


I made a bowl with Far East Roasted Red Pepper & Basil Quinoa (yes, from a box! It was on sale!), Sauteed Cabbage, Gimme Lean Sausage, and Black-Eyed Peas (from a can, but seasoned well with lots of hot sauce, hot peppers, and garlic).

On Friday, I'll be starting a 3-day smoothie cleanse, followed by a 21-day Crazy Sexy Diet detox. I'll have one more regular post tomorrow before things get crazy healthy up in here! As for 2014 resolutions, I'm sticking with the one that didn't work out in 2013 because of my foot injury — running my first half-marathon. I really hope that works out this year. I'm also hoping to deepen my yoga practice and spend more playtime with my pups.

6 comments:

Adriana Robles said...

Happy new year, Bianca! I love your hair in that picture. :) Glad to see that you had a good time, and that crepe looks delicious!

My mom is getting over the flu too, she went to sleep right after midnight.

I plan on working out this year since I gained the sufficient pounds that I wanted; now I just have to keep it on and stay fit! Good luck on your first half marathon too! 2014 should bring nothing but the best. :)

vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

hạt điều rang muối said...

Happy new year1

Dana Vickerson said...

OMG Jonathan Brandis! I was so incredibly in love with him throughout my childhood and early adult hood. May he rest in peace. What a hottie.

Good luck on your cleanse! I'm going for clean eating all week then my 28 day arbonne detox on monday!

Sarah said...

Happy New Year Bianca! Sounds like a really fun celebration, and I LOVE your skull top!! Or dress?! Whatever it is I love it.

I always look forward to following your beginning of the year detoxes. I am a big fan of the Crazy Sexy Diet detox, I'm always so inspired by Kris Carr. I'm going to be cleansing for 21 days too (January 5-25) and I'm doing a low fat, raw diet (80/10/10). It's going to be difficult and intense but I really need it because of health issues I've been experiencing. Best of luck to you with the detoxing, I'll definitely be here to root you on!

Unknown said...

Tuna was one of the hardest things for me to give up - I would love to try the meatless tuna! Especially since it comes in a can like the good ol' days!
Awesome post - I need to find this ASAP! :)

Chubby Vegan Mom said...

This all looks so yummy and you are absolutely adorable!