Thursday, January 30, 2014

Bowl Love

Quick post tonight! I'd intended to wax poetic a bit about how much I love bowls and how I'm hoping to make these whole grain-veggie-sauce dishes a staple in my healthier diet going forward.

But Cassi and I saw Wicked tonight at the Orpheum (it was my second time), and we just got home. And it's already past my bedtime. And I can't get "Defying Gravity" out of my head (which is a good thing).

Anyway, rather that using lots of words, here are a couple of pictures of two variations on my fave bowl of the moment — Adzuki Bean, Grain, Kale, & Tahini Bowl. This one has brown rice.


And this one has whole sorghum.


Sadly, the sorghum didn't quite cook all the way through so some bits were crunchy. The Bob's Red Mill package said to cook for one hour, but the grains were still rock hard after an hour. I cooked it for two, and it was only beginning to get soft. But I had to stop the cooking because I was making this before bed the other night to eat the next day. And I had to go to sleep.

(UPDATE: This morning, before work, I threw the leftover still-hard, but slightly cooked sorghum into a pot with about 1/2 cup water, and then I set it on to boil and simmer for about 30 minutes. And the sorghum FINALLY cooked through! I'm glad to know that re-cooking still-hard "cooked" grains works.)

Oh, and the tahini sauce is the Creamy Tahini Sauce from Cookin' Crunk. Not to toot my own horn, but my tahini sauce is kind of the bomb.com (yea, I'm bringin' that back, don't hate).

Here's the recipe.

Creamy Tahini Sauce (from Cookin' Crunk)
---------------------------------------------------------
1/3 cup roasted sesame tahini
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Water, to thin

Place the tahini, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, sesame oil, soy sauce, maple syrup, and garlic powder into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Stir well to incorporate. If the tahini seems too thick, you might want to mix the ingredients in a food processor or blender. If using this as a creamy topping, you may want to thin it out with a little water. Add a few tablespoons at a time to the blender or bowl and incorporate until desired consistency is reached.

5 comments:

Cadry's Kitchen said...

I love that tahini sauce! The nutty/cheesy/sweetness complements a lot of flavors and legitimizes a simple meal of warmed chickpeas, brown rice, and steamed broccoli. I make it regularly and really appreciate that it doesn't require washing the food processor or blender afterwards!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

My Mom and sister and I are seeing Wicked Sunday night! It's my second time too. I saw it in the fall of 2010 and have been dying to see it again ever since.

Dana Vickerson said...

i love bowls! i also love the orpheum! what a beautiful theatre. i think the first thing I saw there was the nutcracker back in grade school. my mom, sister and i almost got kicked out once at a tom petty concert, because we were dancing on our seats. apparently, that is frowned upon. haha.

foodfeud said...

Adzuki beans are so fantastic! I feel like almost every meal I eat is a bowl but you really step things up. I'll have to try that tahini sauce - I just finally bought more tahini and yrs looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

MeShell said...

I've got this big package of sorghum that I haven't really figured out what to do with... but I think I'll be covering it with your tahini sauce in a a few days.... :)