Sunday, January 12, 2014

Crazy Sexy Juice Fasting!

I made it through the weekend (and this weekend included a juice fast)! And trust me — there were plenty of temptations all up in my face all weekend. But I did it! I've done this Crazy Sexy Diet cleanse and similar cleanses every January for years, but I'm constantly amazed by my own willpower. Or perhaps I'm just really stubborn, and when I say I'm gonna do something, I'm gonna do it just to prove myself. That's more likely. ;-)

On Friday and Saturday, I had pretty much the same things I've been eating all of last week, so I'll spare you the same pics again — Morning Glorious Juice, Warm Kale & Quinoa Salad, Asian Stir-Raw with Miso-Ginger Sauce, rice cakes with hummus, veggies and guacamole. I had a giant bowl of air-popped popcorn with nooch on Friday night as Paul and I watched a movie called Thanks for Sharing.

And I had a special treat on Saturday night. I took myself out to eat and ordered the healthiest thing on the menu at Imagine Vegan Cafe. They're not known for their healthy options because that's not why you go to Imagine. You go to Imagine for sinful vegan delights, like pizza, country fried "steak," and the most decadent vegan layer cakes. But I was strong, even as Greg ordered the special of day — Caribbean Jerk "Chicken" Sandwich and French Fries. I went with the Southern Staple — black beans, brown rice, collard greens, and a garlic sauce. It comes with sweet cornbread, but since this cleanse is gluten- and sugar-free, I gave that to Greg.


This was so good, and I even saved some for leftover dinner this coming week. But I have to admit that Greg's fries looks pretty awesome. I kept staring at them throughout the meal, as if I could will one into my mouth.

Later Saturday night, we went to my friend Shara's birthday party, and I didn't drink! Some years, when I do other cleanses, I factor in a cheat day for Shara's birthday, and I'll have a few glasses of wine. But Crazy Sexy Diet seems more strict to me, so I stuck with it. Granted, I was a little bored without any booze, and I certainly wouldn't want to make a habit of not drinking in social situations. But it's okay for a few weeks.

Sunday (today) was my weekly juice fast. It's an option on the Crazy Sexy Diet to juice-fast every Sunday. I planned to do one today and next Sunday. From the time I woke up at 10 a.m. to about 5 p.m., I ate no solids but just drank juices made from all this lovely produce.


I'm not gonna say it was easy. It was hard. Very hard. I had a busy day planned, and my tummy was growling at every event I went to, even though I sipped on juice ALL DAY. Juice just doesn't fill me up for long. I even resisted homemade vegan wontons and spring rolls at a party at Cassi's house this afternoon!

But as with the last time I did Crazy Sexy Diet, I opted to have a light dinner rather than fast all day. I made this Miso Broth with Zucchini Somen and Mushrooms from Crazy Sexy Diet. It was supposed to be a raw soup made with lukewarm water, but I took one bite and thought that was totally gross. Miso just shouldn't be cold. So I zapped the bowl in the microwave for a few minutes, and it was perfect.


I also had some Steamed Broccoli with Nooch on the side.


I was so damn hungry by the time I ate this stuff, so it was extra tasty. I'll be glad to go to bed tonight so I can wake up and eat three meals and snacks!

4 comments:

foodfeud said...

That soup actually looks really good! I always wonder how zucchini noodles would fare in miso. But yr right, I would never eat it tepid!! Yeck.

Sarah said...

The soup looks great!! I was thinking about trying zucchini noodles in a mushroom soup so I'm glad I saw this post! You are doing such a great job on this cleanse and kudos to you for passing up on temptation! Your southern bowl looks INCREDIBLE, I'm jealous of it! I kind of want to try and make it for myself!

My raw cleanse sucked the life out of my so I'll be joining you on the CSD cleanse! You inspired me to try the warm quinoa and kale salad, yum!

Unknown said...

Juice fasting takes some serious will-power! If I had a juicer, I would try it. I like to just on Sundays idea, too. Your posts lately have already inspired me to use my Nook gift card from Xmas to get Crazy Sexy Diet, but I haven't read it, yet!

Also, I've never tried broccoli with noosh, but I'm going to get on that because it sounds like a healthier version of Cheezy Broccoli, and who doesn't love cheesy broccoli?

Anonymous said...

Hello, my name is Chris, with Dawn Star Press. We recently published an eBook that seems like it would be a good topic for your blog, and I was wondering if you would be interested in a free copy in return for a mention or entry in your blog. If so, please respond to chris@dawnstarpress.com with what format you would prefer to receive it in. The book is KNOW ENOUGH: Ethnic Cuisines, a common man's guide to food from around the world and the cultures that created them.