Monday, October 1, 2012

Vegan Mofo: Month of Vegan Sandwiches

Happy Vegan Month of Food, everybody! For short, we call that MOFO, and you'll see this lovely banner on most or all of my posts throughout October (and throughout the awesome vegan blogosphere).


I was late signing up this year, so I missed the RSS feed roll. But the lovely Katie posted a thread on the Vegan Mofo blog where latecomers can post their RSS feed addresses, and people can add them if they'd like. She even made an example of me for being late. ;-) Ha! I tried to leave a comment on that post with my RSS feed, but Blogger is being crazy. So if you're interested, here it is: http://vegancrunk.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Now, I don't even know how to work those RSS codes, so don't ask me for directions. I just check the Mofo page's blogroll for other Mofo-ers. That seems less tech-y. I like that.

I've been Mofo-ing for several years, but unlike most bloggers, I haven't done a Mofo blog theme. The goal for Mofo is to blog as much as possible. But I already blog daily Sunday through Thursday, so I figure this year, I really ought to go for a theme. Since I just ordered two awesome sandwich-themed cookbooks, I've decided to shoot for the Vegan Month of Sandwiches. I know I won't post sandwiches every day this month, but I will try to post at least one or two (or even three) sandwiches each week.

So enough babbling. Let me show you a damn sandwich already! Check out this Caprese Sandwich from Artisan Vegan Cheese!


The buffalo mozzarella is made from cashews cultured with homemade rejuvalac leftover from my gruyere-making experience a few weeks back. Now, I don't blame Miyoko's recipe, but for some reason, the cheese didn't firm up like it was supposed to. I think I have faulty agar powder. It never seems to make things thicken as they should. That's what I get for buying the cheapo agar powder from the Asian market.

But even though the cheese didn't firm, it was a perfect sandwich spread. And OMG. It tastes EXACTLY like buffalo mozzarella, which I have missed for years. I spread the cheese on some good bread from the farmer's market and topped it with fresh summer tomatoes (we still have those here!), fresh basil, and roasted garlic. And then the whole thing is drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. So tasty. So very, very tasty.

In non-sandwich news, my second booksigning is Tuesday night at the Booksellers at Laurelwood from 6 to 7 p.m. The Booksellers Bistro will be sampling my Chipotle Chickpea Chili, Butter Bean Bruschetta, and Holy Mole Chocolate-Chili Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream (all from Cookin' Crunk). If you're local, come on down!

15 comments:

FoodandLoathing said...

I got something that was marked as being agar powder from an Asian market, and I haven't used it, but it's, like, red. Was yours red? I've searched up and down on the internet about the possibility of this actually being agar and I've found nothing of use. The package itself is completely unlabeled, it was just the box these unlabeled packages were in that was labeled.

Emily said...

Now THAT is one delicious-looking sandwich, buffalo cheeze and all :)

Amey said...

awesome! I gotta get my hands on that cheeze book. Seriously, I really loved fresh mozzerella...

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

Read the cookbook Saturday night after I got home from Nashville--it's amazing!!! Congrats!

AMY

Cadry said...

Wow, that is a good looking sandwich! I ordered the vegan cheese book based in part on your recommendation, and I look forward to getting started with it!

Åsa said...

That looks so good! I look forward to see more of your sandwiches! Happy mofo!

River said...

That's an impressive sandwich! I think I have faulty agar flakes! The same thing happens to me. And the same thing happened to me when I tried to add my feed to the "latecomers" post over at the MoFo blog - my comment didn't seem to go through, so I tried a couple more times. Now all my three comments are there and I made myself look like a spammer! :P

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

that looks like a pretty rad sandwich!

Tami said...

As a sandwich fanatic, I'll be watching your blog even more closely than normal!

Hope you are loving your book signings!

urban vegan said...

I love sandwiches. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

I was also late. Actually, I thought I had signed up and didn't--so maybe I'm just getting old ;)

Erin said...

Hooray for sandwiches! This one looks awesome. I'd love to try that mozzarella on a Caprese pizza!

Andrea said...

At first, I thought you had that sandwich at a restaurant. Very tasty and gourmet looking ; )!

xvavaveganx said...

Oooh a sandwich theme, I love it! That caprese sandwich looks ridiculously amazing!! Yum!

Lauren Kaufman said...

Hmmmm, I tried the version of vegan cheddar featured in VegNews and it did not firm up either...and I know my agar is good. I did make the mozz featured in the magazine as well and it did firm up, so basically I have no idea what's going on. Baxter, you know I don't speak Spanish!

Southern Purple Veggie said...

Holy Moly a sandwich theme, finally a theme that I can eat almost eat everyday with my schedule.