Thursday, October 4, 2012

Sprouted Cornflakes & Flax Milk

In a little break from my Vegan Mofo sandwich theme, I've got a review post tonight. A couple weeks back, a nice lady from the Whole Foods HQ in Austin offered to send me some new products offered in WF stores.

She had a long list of things she wanted to send, but many were sold out in her store, so she sent two items and a $15 gift card to purchase some of the others in my Whole Foods store in Memphis. Isn't that nice?

I've already purchased a couple of those, but tonight's post will focus on the products she sent — Arrowhead Mills Gluten-Free Sprouted Cornflakes and 365 Organic Flax Milk:


I poured those flakes in a bowl, added some strawberries, and a splash of flax milk. Breakfast was served.


First, the cornflakes. Now, I'm not gluten-free, and I don't buy into all the hype about gluten-free being "better" for you unless you actually have a gluten intolerance or allergy. It seems there's a new line of thinking that gluten is bad for everybody. But there just isn't science to back that up, so I'm not buying it. But that being said, I really LOVE some gluten-free items. Especially when they're corn-based. There's something about the texture of corn-based pastas and cereals that just makes my mouth happy.

And these flakes definitely made my mouth happy. They seem more tender than wheat-based flakes, like they almost melt in your mouth. Yet they manage to hold up well in milk. They're lightly sweetened and delicious as hell. Even if you're a gluten lover like me, these flakes will impress. I'd take these over regular cornflakes any day.

I've actually tried the 365 flax milk before. And I really like this stuff too. It's a little thinner than my usual soymilk or coconut-almond milk, but that's okay. It's loaded with omega-3's, and it's only a tad sweet. Perfect for cereal. I just love how many milks we get as vegans. Omnis have, like, two (cow and goat). We have soy, almond, coconut, flax, oat, hemp, hazelnut, sunflower, the list goes on. Vegan life is good.


10 comments:

climbinvegan said...

I'll have to try this cereal... being gluten free I'm always looking for awesome cereals!!!!

Also- I LOVE flax milk... thats my milk of choice anyday! I use a different brand though, that I find in sprouts here..

urban vegan said...

I'll have to try 365 Flax Milk. I like the Good Karma brand a lot. It's funny though--in my old age I have lost my taste for breakfast cereal. Used to love it. Can't remember the last time I bought it!

Allysia said...

I agree with your sentiments on milk, I love the selection! There's even a coffee shop nearby that has not only the standard soy milk, but also almond and hemp. That's a big deal around here! And flax milk sounds very odd to me, but can't knock it 'til you try it I suppose.

FoodandLoathing said...

I think, often, when someone doesn't actually have a gluten intolerance but thinks it's bad to eat it anyway, what they really mean is that they don't think you should be eating processed grains, or grains at all really. Weight-loss focused people especially think this. And they've got a point. But I'm still going to eat gluten sometimes!

River said...

I'm not a cornflakes person, but I am a flax person! I want that milk! Adding it to the Whole Foods monthly shopping list...

Yep. I remember when I first went vegan there were two milk options at our local grocery store: Silk soy milk and 8th Continent soy milk. Later on they brought in shelf-stable Almond Breeze, and now we have all sorts of options!

Anonymous said...

what an awesome product! are they grrrrrrreat? haha sorry, couldn't resist

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. said...

Wow. Did NOT know about this startling new finding!! GF Cornflakes, WOW. Must try!!!!

Jenny said...

I like your point about how many more choices we have for milk.

John McDevitt said...

I'll have to try both of those!

Nicole said...

I was never a cereal person in the morning. In my country (France), it was croissant with coffee and milk for breakfast. But I love flax milk! it's my new plant based favorite milk.