Thursday, October 18, 2012

Sandwich Crunkness

First, some announcements:
* My good friends (and co-worker) Justin and Amy of the Chubby Vegetarian tried the Hot Tamale Pie from Cookin' Crunk, and they posted the recipe. So if you'd like a freebie, go check it out! 
* I had another article published on VegNews.com. It's a rundown of eight tips for surviving as a small-town vegan (or even a vegan living in a mid-sized, not-so-vegan-friendly town). Check it.
And now I have a promise to fulfill. I said I'd give you a spectacular Mofo sandwich tonight in keeping with my theme. But you really ought to thank John Plummer of The I-40 Kitchen for this one. Ladies and gentlemen, behold the Grant Stack:


That's vegan pimento cheese, fried green tomatoes, and tempeh bacon, all tucked between two slices of One Degree Veganic Lentil Grain bread. There really aren't words to describe how awesome this combo is.

You see, for Mofo, John is making recipes from different states. The Grant Stack is a popular sandwich over in Georgia, but since I'm from the Mid-South, I'd never heard of such a thing. John messaged me a few weeks back and said he planned to make this for Mofo, and he was using three recipes from my cookbook to make it. Yep, there are recipes for Vegan Pimento Cheese, Fried Green Tomatoes, and Tempeh Bacon in my book. But I never dreamed of putting them together! After John posted pics of his stack sandwich, I knew I had to give it a try. If you have Cookin' Crunk, you really need to try these recipes together!

Now, about that bread. One Degree Organics sent me two loaves of their veganic breads to review — Lentil Grain and Sesame Sunflower. I've only recently learned the word "veganic." It basically means a product is gold star, like as vegan as possible. Organic produce is often grown with animal byproducts, like bone or blood meal (GROSS!). And that stuff comes from slaughterhouses, so vegans are kind of contributing to factory farming by eating organic produce (SCARY!).


Anyway, "veganic" means organic produce that's only grown in vegan stuff. One Degree is proud of their veganic farmers, so much so that each loaf has a QR code that, when scanned, tells the story of the farmers who grew the product. Pretty awesome. Plus, the bread is freaking delicious. It's whole grain, but it's not too hippie-ish and brown. I like a lighter bread, just like this.

All that being said, it'd be nearly impossible to be a totally veganic vegan, unless you have your own farm or something. But I'm going to start looking for the "veganic" label wherever I can. Every little bit we can do for the animals helps.


10 comments:

JohnP said...

Your sandwich looks fantastic. And the bread sounds great too - I will keep an eye open for it!

franchise Brisbane said...

Thanks for the tips! Sandwich looks good.

urban vegan said...

This looks filling and so Southern. Grand, indeed.

Erin said...

JohnP is an intrepid food adventurer, the sandwich sounds incredible! "Veganic" made me chuckle a little...it makes sense, of course, but it's kind of like being vegan isn't enough and you have to go one step further. Not a bad thing, certainly, an interesting concept for sure.

Allysia said...

That is one badass sandwich right there. If there was a chopped up pickle in the sammie, it would probably be my favorite thing ever. Everything from your book looks great!

Lillith P. said...

Sshhh... I just need to take that sandwich it.. and weep because it's not in front of me.

vegan.in.brighton said...

Wow, now that is a sandwich!

Åsa said...

That sandwich looks amazing! I am adding your book to my x-mas wishlist right now. :)

tender b. said...

That thing is a beast!

Sheridan said...

Um, I'm drooling. This looks and sounds amazing! I have to make it!