Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Zucchini Bread for Breakfast!

For the past few mornings, I've been enjoying this moist loaf of Swell Vegan's Lemon Zucchini Bread:

I'm a sucker for anything with lemon, and with the fresh zucchini finally coming into the farmer's market, I knew I HAD to make this recipe from Swell Vegan's cookzine (appropriately named Swell).

As you can see by the picture, it didn't get much lift in the oven, but I'm used to that since I only use whole wheat pastry flour rather than white. It never gets as fluffy. Swell Vegan actually recommended spelt flour (which I didn't have on hand) or part all-purpose, part whole wheat pastry flour. But I subbed all whole wheat pastry flour.

I did have to cook this about 30 minutes longer than the recipe called for. I think this might have had something to do with my oven. But her recipe calls for a 45 to 50 minute cooking time on 325 degrees. I always bake breads like these on 350 for about an hour, so I ended up jacking up the temp to 350 after 55 minutes in the oven. Then I cooked it for 20 more minutes. When I make it again, I'll start with a 350 degree oven.

And I will be making this again! It was scrumptious schmeared with Tofutti cream cheese:

By the way, after the last tofu fish post, a few people asked when my cookbook will be coming out. Honestly, I don't know. I have about 200 recipes developed, but the dessert section still needs some work. And my testers are hard at work trying things out. I plan to find a publisher (or self-publish) after the recipe development phase ... that way I can do things at my own pace. My goal for finishing recipe development, though, is December.

13 comments:

nora said...

yum, what a cool spin on zucchini bread! i, too, willingly accept a lack of lift in my baked goods in order to avoid the dreaded white flour.

jessy said...

i need to buy Swell's cooking zine! the zucchini bread looks moist & amazing! we cook with whole wheat flour as well and are now used to things coming out a little more dense. i just love the flavor of whole wheat, and how much more awesome it is for you!

Lisa said...

homebaked bread is a great start to the day! Thanks for the cookbook update too.

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

sounds awesome, when i use wholewheat flour it never rises as much either, so i'm used to it too.

Anonymous said...

I just got that book but I somehow missed this recipe. I'm going to find it and make it ASAP!

Anonymous said...

oh that bread looks great!

that's so exciting that you are coming out with a cookbook! good luck!

Gina said...

Random question, since you mentioned Tofutti and I used mine yesterday. Do you use the non-hydrogenated kind? Because...the last time I bought it I spent the extra $0.50 or whatever it was for the non-hydrogenated, and..it just doesn't taste as cream cheesey to me. Boo.

You definitely just made me want some zucchini bread though, YUM!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Oh I need to try that!! We have so much local zucchini right now around here. Yum yum.

Anonymous said...

Cool! It always rises pretty well for me (I actually use whole spelt flour), but maybe you do need to get your hands on an oven thermometer. I realized that I'd been putting things in too early for ages!

Also, I'm excited to hear about your cookbook update. 200 recipes! That's crazy!

Cyn said...

Yum! I just made the zucchini spelt muffins from Vegan Brunch, and they were fantastic. Even my boyfriend liked them, in a surprised "This has zucchini and seems healthy but it is delicious" kind of way.

Theresa said...

Zuke bread looks great! Maybe you can get in touch with Bob and Jenna at Tofu Hound Press when you start looking for publishers.

Vic Robinson said...

I love Zucchini Bread, never thought of adding lemons.....yum!

dreaminitvegan said...

I never thought of lemon and zucchini, I must try.