Monday, June 29, 2009

The Pbu Revolution!

A few weeks ago, the awesome Shelby over at La Belle Vegan dollaped her oats with a mysterious substance she referred to as Pbu. That post led me over to Curly Top's blog where I was turned on to Pbu global domination. Apparently, a cute curly-headed girl named Emily is taking over the blogosphere with her delicious homemade peanut butter spread.

Count me in — I had a generous couple spoonfuls on my Pbu Steel Cut Oats with Maple Syrup and Fresh Blueberries this morning:

What's Pbu (pronounced pboo), you ask? Emily's awesome idea involves mixing peanut butter with a little almond milk, a dash of salt, and some optional cinnamon for an unbelievably smooth and creamy lower-fat version of peanut butter. It's lower in fat because it's thinned out with the almond milk, but that milk gives it the consistancy of super-thick PB smoothie. And everyone knows that anything that tastes like a PB smoothie has to be the best food ever, right?

Emily's recipe and Pbu FAQ sheet can be found on her blog. I actually halved her recipe since I knew I wouldn't go through 2 1/2 to 3 cups of Pbu before the almond milk in it goes bad. But I made a whole jar's worth, and it'll be topping my oats, my toast, my celery, my everything all week long.

All hail Pbu!

16 comments:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh, NICE! I'm off PB right now, but I'll likely be making ABU!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

thanks for the link, this sounds like an awesome idea.

miss v said...

i love that idea... and i sounds like it would taste sooo good in my banana smoothies!

Mihl said...

I need to go shopping! I haven't had any peanut butter in a while. I totally have to eat this for breakfast. It sounds very, very delicious.

P.S. Happy belated anniversary to you and Paul!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout-out girl!

LOVE me some Pbu/Abu!

A said...

I keep seeing that EVERYWHERE but I always forget to make it!! Uhhh! Looks good!
-A

Gina said...

I made this a few days ago because it is SO cool. Then I realized that the only time I really eat Peanut Butter is out of the jar with a spoon. So it hasn't been getting much use in my house, but it sure is yummy!

Jen said...

i've never used a full serving of PB in my life. IMO a little goes a long way.

Mary said...

That does sound like a good oatmeal mix-in!

Jen said...

yes bianca, bloomington is super awesome. you may move here any time you'd like. you're bound to find safe, affordable housing with adorable punk rock vegans. i can totally hook you up.

Cyn said...

Yum! Adding PB to your oatmeal is such a good idea, it looks delicious.

jessy said...

superw00t! i've gotta try this pbu, Bianca - it sounds too awesome!

Anonymous said...

Yummy breakfast!!! :)

I noticed you were from MS... my husband and I live here, he was born and raised :)

nora said...

seriously, all hail pbu!

Erin said...

I like this idea very, very much. I just had a spoonful of pb on my oatbran this morning, and it would be awesome to be able to add more volume without a ton of calories!

Gena (Choosing Raw) said...

I've been dying to try PBU! This weekend, I hope.