Friday, June 26, 2009

BBQ Sammich & Tater Salad

I've been working on my recipe for vegan barbecue for months. I knew I MUST include a barbecue sandwich in my cookbook since pulled pork sandwiches are such a big thing down here. Even though pulled pork is nasty, I wanted something that would simulate that meaty texture. I've tried seitan (too chewy), tofu (not chewy enough), and finally a tempeh/shredded carrot combo (perfect!).

Here's my Tempeh Carrot BBQ Sandwich with Poppy Seed Coleslaw on a homemade whole wheat bun:

The tempeh has a bit of a chewy texture, but not as much as the seitan did. When I tried this with seitan, it was like eating bread with a bread bun — way too chewy! I added grated carrot to the tempeh for more of a "pulled pork" look and some extra veggie nutrients.

The Poppy Seed Coleslaw recipe is also going in the cookbook. It's vegan mayo-based because that's what I like, but I'm sure a fat-free vegan mayo would work for the calorie-conscious (there's also a homemade tofu mayo recipe in my cookbook for those who prefer DIY).

The whole wheat buns are from Jessy's recipe. These are Dee-licious, but as you can see, mine didn't rise properly, Instead of rising up, they flattened out. But they were still tasty. It's not the recipe's fault though — I subbed all whole wheat pastry flour for some of the white flour in Jessy's recipe, so I'm sure that's the problem. Hers always look perfect!

On the side, I made the Creamy Avocado Potato Salad from Vegan Brunch:

Since I'm a huge guacamole fan, this stuff was awesome! But I did have to add a whole bunch more salt and some garlic powder to bring it up to par.

The recipe in VB serves four, but I didn't want the avocado to turn brown in my leftovers. So I cooked the whole recipe for potatoes and placed them in a bowl in the fridge, un-dressed. Then as I've been eating this each day, I mush up half an avocado with the other spices and some cherry tomato and mix with one serving of the potatoes. It's a good way to make a recipe like this for one person.

21 comments:

nora said...

First of all, I don't think your buns look flat! (The hamburger ones that is, I can't speak for your own...hahaha I'm sorry).

And the poppyseed coleslaw sounds really light and delicious!

It's also funny how you make your avocado potato salad in increments :)

thanks for fixing my blog link!

Virginia said...

i have been wanting to try that avocado potato salad too!! i can't wait for all of your recipes!

Jen said...

yeah, i'll agree with nora. those aren't flat buns. the tempeh shredded carrot mix sounds intriguing. i personally like the bbq seitan the co op makes here.

that tater salad looks great. while i can't afford vegan brunch, our awesome liberry already has it, and i've put it on hold.

Anonymous said...

I love adding carrot to my Sloppy Tempeh Hoes

Vegan In The VI said...

That sounds so fantastic! Why don't you open a restaurant???? I think it would be a huge success with just this meal as the lunch selection.

A said...

And you EVEN made your own BUNS!! You are the MASTER! Great idea to put shredded carrots in the non-meat. I bet it adds the perfect sweetness!
-A
P.S. I agree with Shenandoah Vegan. OPEN A RESTAURANT!!!

Mihl said...

I agree with you, pulled pork sounds nasty. But your sandwich looks great. I need to cook with tempeh more often. You are definitely inspiring me. And that totato salad is another recipe I need to try from VB.

vegan.in.brighton said...

Pulled pork? I've never heard of it but I'd like to try your sandwich! Nice idea with making the guacamole potato salad serve one, I just got my copy in the post today and can't wait to try it.

Cyn said...

Oh my, that looks so delicious. And tempeh is the best, I can't wait to make this. And the coleslaw! Yum.

The avocado-potato salad is totally on my To Make list from Vegan Brunch. (Along with like, the whole book.)

Mike K said...

That's a great idea for going after the right texture of those pulled pork sandwiches. I've had my eye on the avocado potato salad too - looks great!

jessy said...

Bianca, you MUST be a mind reader or something! seriously! dan and i were talking just yesterday about the omni dishes we miss and bbq was one of my top 5. i was sadfaced because most of the bbq recipes i've seen around use seitan, and me and wheat gluten have had to break up. ;) i cannot wait to test out your bbq! not only does it look amazing, but it sounds absolutely scrumptious! i loooove the idea of adding in some carrots, too!

slaw on top - just as it should be. hellz yeah! i love me a mayo based slaw, and the creamy avocado potato salad!?! it's just too much gloriousness on a plate! mmmmmmmm!

sorry the buns flattened out on you! oh man! maybe try adding in more flour, perhaps the dough was too soft?! i'm gonna revisit the recipe to make sure my measurements are right, my friend! i think your buns look great though, and i'm so glad you enjoyed them! homemade buns = totally bad ass! superw00t!

miss v said...

that bbq sammie looks divine! have i mentioned i can't wait for your book!? :)

it's weird - i never buy tempeh for some reason, but i sounds like it's the right choice for this.

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

ooh that looks yummy. love the idea of adding carrot to it.

avocado potato salad - yum, i got to get vegan brunch!!!

Lisa said...

your sandwich looks incredible! And I love the poppy seed addition to the coleslaw.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh my gosh, that sandwich looks delicious!

MeloMeals said...

That sandwich looks so good! I love the carrot idea

Anonymous said...

Can you post when your book's coming out?

aTxVegn said...

What a sandwich! The carrots added to the tempeh is such a creative and delicious idea. And slaw on top is perfect!

Tasty Health Food said...

Ooh, your hamburger looks really good! All of your food looks delicious, actually. :)

Jess said...

You know, I have found that whole wheat pastry flour does not interact well with yeast. It says on the bag I have that it's great for baked goods made with baking powder - which I think means it's not really made to go with yeast?? I could be wrong, but every time I've tried to make a pizza dough or buns with WWPF, it ends up suuuuuuper flat!

Your sandwich looks amazing, though! Is your cookbook going to be self-published, or what's going on with that? And when can I buy a copy?!

T said...

I love both of these ideas! The carrots would definitely spruce up the texture over regular bbq, and I hate how most vegan cookbooks just use veganaise for potato salad. Avacados though... yum!