Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Raw Solstice Celebration

Not only was Sunday Father's Day, it was also the Summer Solstice — the longest day of the year and the official beginning of summer. Since summer is my favorite season, I couldn't resist a chance to celebrate with my friends. The Father's Day celebration at my parents' house was over by 5 p.m., so I had a chance to attend my pal Judith's Summer Solstice party.

Here's Judith lighting the traditional Summer Solstice fire — which represents the sun — in her firepit:

Since Judith is almost 100 percent raw, she made a huge smorgasbord of raw goodies. Here's my plate:

Mango Salsa, Stuffed Cashew Tomatoes, Flax Crackers, Some Delicious Raw Pate, Something Purple and Yummy, Homemade Pickles, Raw Squash Salad, Coleslaw, and Carrot BBQ

Judith's yard is filled with toys, like this exercise ball that I'm doing push-ups on:

And this hexagonal ball contraption that my boyfriend Paul played on:

Here's Paul chatting with our buds Vaughan and Barbara after our Welcome the Sun ritual (by the way, Paul isn't drinking two glasses of wine ... he's holding my cup so I could take a picture):

We had lots of fun playing weird musical instruments, noshing on raw goodies, and welcoming the sun. Happy Summer!

16 comments:

Theresa said...

Looks like fun! I love your food description: something purple and yummy. lol :)

Anonymous said...

That raw plate looks AMAZING! I love all of the colors, its so pretty =)

miss v said...

i would love to have a friend who made a ton of raw foods for me to munch on! sometimes i just lose my will to make different things when i'm only making them for myself. sigh...

Unknown said...

exercise ball! ha. ha. ha!

Jen said...

happy solstice. you're so lucky to have a raw foodie friend to create such a spread!

Gina said...

Looks like a fun time with some yummy food! Awesome :)

By the way, no I haven't read Skinny Bitch, I just have the cookbook. Maybe I should pick it up, I could use a kick in the ass.

nora said...

wow what a trippy party! and all that raw food with no effort involved on your part! the ultimate raw food experience! haah b/c it takes sooooo long to make.

Leslie Richman said...

That looks and sounds like a really fun party!

Virginia said...

sounds like fun! i wish i had friends like that. i am the only vegan i know! (besides my husband and kids that is...)

Cyn said...

Yay for yummy raw foods and awesome solstice celebrations! That looks super fun.

Sophia said...

That hexagonal ball looks like a blast! Looks like you had a great time, the food looks yummy!

http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/

A said...

Wow.... crazy toys!! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun and a lot of good (raw) eats!!! Thanks for sharing with us! :)
-A

jessy said...

so much awesomeness! hooray, Bianca! such a smorgasbord of raw deliciousnesses! wow! stuffed cashew tomatoes, homemade pickles, raw squash salad – mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! too funny on the excise ball – those things are so much fun! i’m so glad you all had such a fantastical celebration with friends, food, and lots of fun! w00t!

curlytop said...

Bianca,

Thanks! I swear, I think I'm still blushing from all of this attention to my lowly little blog... lol. Some amazing anonymous bloggie nominated me and I am so very, very honored. Pbu rocks my socks and I'm so, So, SO happy that everyone else seems to agree!

In answer to your question, Pbu came about because I originally used it solely as a dip-a sort of cheeseless fondu. Therefore pb+fondu=pbu (pronounced Pboo). Great question!

Here's to many happy Pbu-filled days!

With Love,

Emily

Erin said...

Looks like such a fun, tasty party! I'd be all over that hexagonal thing too.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Wow, look at all those raw goodies!