Thursday, June 11, 2009

Elvis the Cupcake, Mac & Teese, and More

Elvis is Memphis. So it just wouldn't be right to right for a Memphian to write a vegan Southern cookbook without at least one recipe homage to the King. Meet the Elvis Cupcake:

It's peanut butter and banana, of course! The interior is flecked with peanuts and creamy banana bits, and it's topped with a rich peanut buttercream. The cupcake part is almost fat-free (except for the peanuts) so I like to think of it as "skinny Elvis." The frosting, however, is "fat Elvis" in all his chubby-cheeked glory. It's made with peanut butter, shortening, and loads of confectioner's sugar. That creates a balance that makes this Libra happy.

The cupcake is still in development, but I'm getting close to perfecting the recipe. I brought these to work today and my co-workers mostly all agreed that they were better than the first batch of them I brought in last week, which were more muffin-y than cake-y.

After all that cupcake bakin', I wanted an easy dinner tonight. So I whipped up this quick plate of Mac & Teese With Weiners In It:

Yep, it's kiddie food. But kiddie food makes me happy sometimes. I used Creamy Cheddar Teese melted with soymilk for the sauce. The new Teese sauces — creamy cheddar and nacho — are the best things ever made in the whole wide world! The veggie dogs were some I'd frozen back when I tried Melody's (of Melomeals) recipe for homemade steamed hot dogs. Her recipe is way better than the storebought kind!

On the side, I served Dark Leafy Greens with Sesame Miso Dressing from The Vegan Table:

As you can tell by the colored stems, I used fresh, local chard. And let me tell ya, this is the first thing I've made from The Vegan Table and it is most excellent! The greens are steamed and lightly sauteed with a miso-based sesame-flecked sauce. Yummy, nummy!

23 comments:

nora said...

I've only made cookies from the VT, but it looks like there's so many great healthy veg recipes in there! You've inspired me to try some :)

Elvis was a smart man.

VeganCowGirl said...

Hey! I love kiddie food - mac and teese with weiners sounds great. I love love love the cupcake bianca. Perfect combo - elvis had a lot more going on then just his dancing: he was a vegan in the making.

Anonymous said...

Kiddie food rules! And the Elivs cupcakes? Good grief, Elivs is just a wishing he could get his hands on that one!

Mihl said...

Hi Elvis, you are pretty.

"Weiners" is such a funny name. In German "weinen" means to cry.

Anonymous said...

Mmm, everything looks delicious!

I love the colors of the greens, my favorite!

Anonymous said...

peanut butter + bananas = my version of heaven

Leslie Richman said...

Yummy yummy. I love Elvis and kid food!

Vic Robinson said...

Elvis cupcake!? I love it! As someone from the ATL, I enjoy a good southern reference.

A said...

I love Elvis and I love the Elvis cupcake!! That's awesome! Great idea to combine fat and skinny! Best of both worlds!
Also, I gave you a shout-out today on my blog! I toasted frozen waffles today. MUCH better than re-heating in the microwave!
-A

Tara said...

Yum! That is one tasty looking cupcake, and I love kiddie food!

aTxVegn said...

As a huge fan of Elvis AND peanut butter, I am so excited to see these cupcakes! It was a good idea to have fresh greens after cake testing.

Cyn said...

Oh my god, that cupcakes looks amazing! I can't wait to make it. And I just made some of your mac n' cheez the other day, and it was so yummy. Yay for kiddie food.

Eat, Live, Love said...

I would love to take a bite outta that cup cake right now!
Peanut butter and banana are a match made in heaven:)

miss v said...

i love the elvis cake. when i was in memphis, i had grilled pb and banana sammies and i loved them!

i think the frosting sort of looks like his trademark swirly-do. on purpose?

jessy said...

sweet awesomeness, that cuppy = the best! mmmmmmmmmmmmm! your mac 'n teest looks most excellent as well! how rock'n that Melody's recipe = the best! yay! now i want swiss chard, and i'm gonna have to look in to The Vegan Table. gotta love the first recipe ya try from it being that delicious! nummy, fo 'sho!

Ksenia said...

"fat Elvis" and "skinny Elvis"...I loved that xD Hilarious!

I haven't had pasta for ages! Maybe I have some prejudices about it, because whole wheat pasta is expensive, and I try to avoid anything "white". But your Mac & Tees looks too good! =)

The Voracious Vegan said...

Elvis the Cupcake! You are a genius! Can't wait for your cookbook.

Sophia said...

That elvis cupcake looks great, what a neat idea!
Mac and teese sounds great, when does cheezy pasta not sound great?
Rainbow swiss chard is so pretty, talk about eating your colors!
http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/

Virginia said...

the cupcake sounds great! i can't wait for your book!

The Vegan Snorkeler said...

I love peanut butter and bananas together, and cupcakes are always a favorite. Can't wait to try this recipe when the book comes out!

Veganissexy said...

I want that cupcake in my mouth now! I love all things pb and nanner :)

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

DAMN, that's a whole lotta delish!

Cooking With Dia said...

That cupcake looks fab!