Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Cookies and Cuppies! Oh My!

A few weeks ago, I received an sample package of Intention Cookies from Bountiful Vegan. These gigantuan treats are totally vegan and their little packages contain special mantras that are said to bring positive qualities into one's life (so long as you repeat the magic mantra while noshing on the cookies). I'm reviewing them one cookie at a time. Today, I sampled this Harmony Cookie — a sugary Lemon Snickerdoodle:

Let me just tell ya. I ate this thing and I totally felt some inner harmony goin' on. Yep. That's because lemon and snickerdoodle are two of my favorite flavors and when you put them together, well, it created a bit of a harmonious party in my mouth. The texture was spot on for a snickerdoodle — chewy with a hint of crunch. And the natural lemon oil didn't overpower the cinnamon 'doodle taste.

By the way, you can get your own Intention Cookies on the Bountiful Vegan website. Or head over to The Urban Housewife and get in on Melisser's Intention Cookie giveaway.

Speaking of cookies, I FINALLY made those Cookies 'n' Cream Cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World:

I don't know what I was holding out for, but I think these may be my favorite from the whole book. I've always LOVED Oreos, and I'm so thankful that Paul Newman's folks offer the non-scary ingredient version in Newman-O's (which I used for these babies).

I made the cupcakes for my buddy Wes, who celebrated his 49th birthday yesterday!

Wes used to be my next door neighbor, but now we live one street apart from one another. He's like a second mom to me — cooking me dinner, babysitting my pets, and just being there whenever I need some conversation. Happy Birthday Wes!

15 comments:

Theresa said...

The cookies sound great, and your cupcakes look so enticing all covered in their icing like that. Happy birthday to Wes!

Virginia said...

i can't believe you just now made those cupcakes! they are so so good and everyone i have made them for LOVES them! happy birthday wes!

nora said...

yay, those cupcakes! i made them for these 2 girls i was babysitting for and they didn't even like them that much! i was like, uhhhh excuse me?! haha

also, one of them was convinced that if we put the frosting in the fridge, it would be cookies n cream ice cream...

Anonymous said...

LOVE those cupcakes! They are so pretty!

Mary said...

Those are my favorite cupcakes! They're adorable.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

OHMYOHMYOHMY!! Delish.


Happy birthday, Wes!!

A said...

Awe.... you're so sweet for making those yummy looking cup cakes! Also, I heart PN's cookies!
-A

J said...

What a nice thing for you to do. Wes is a lucky guy and it sounds like he is really awesome to you.

I think I need to look into making those cupcakes, I am married to a Oreo Fanatic, it seems wrong to not try it out for him.

Leslie Richman said...

Terrific cupcakes! Happy birthday to your friend :)

Jen said...

man oh man, when i get some dough, i'll have to buy some cookies. sounds silly, because if i really had dough (literally) i'd be making cookies, wouldn't i?

Erin said...

NKOTB is totally capitalizing on the missed opportunities of our youth, and I'm totally okay with that. Whoever is booking their tour could use some geography tips though - from TN to CA in five days? That's pretty rough. Have fun tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Wes! I think I'd be feeling pretty harmonious if I had me one of those cookies...or one of your cuppers!

jessy said...

i almost forgot about the intention cookies! the harmony cookie lok soooo goooood! lemon + snickerdoodle has gotta be one rock’n combination! i too adore the mouth-feel of a snickerdoodle – it’s the absolute best! your cookie ‘n cream cuppies look marvelous, Bianca! when i found out oreos were vegan i didn’t really get too excited because the ingredients are like frankenfood or something – the newman’s owns rock so hard! happy birthday to Wes! w00t!

Cyn said...

Lemon + snickerdoodle sounds fantastic. And those cupcakes! They look amazing. I have no idea why I haven't made them yet.

Anonymous said...

I dont know why u were holding out either. Even I made these and I dont even have a copy of the book yet.Ok I am finished scolding u. Have a good weekend