Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Father's Day, Papa Crunk!

For the past couple years, my family has grilled out for Father's Day. It's a new tradition, but I think it has potential to stick around for awhile. This year, Father's Day fell on the Summer Solstice, the best day of the year for grillin' out. Here's Papa Crunk and I before chowing down:

And here's Grandpa Crunk, lounging in a recliner:

We had Yves Spicy Italian veggie dogs (actually everyone else had meat dogs and burgers) with sauerkraut, potato salad, baked beans, and chips with guacamole and salsa:

Yum! Granny made the potato salad, most of which was not vegan. But she made a special vegan version with dairy-free Italian dressing for me. And she made it all fancy on top with pickles and red bell pepper for garnish:

For dessert, Granny made the best thing ever - Chocolate Hot Fudge Pecan Pudding Cake:

It's a dessert she's veganized for my cookbook and it is so amazing. It's similar to the hot fudge cake at Shoney's, soft gooey cake over a layer of chocolate fudge. I served mine with a scoop of French Vanilla Soy Dream.

I'll share pictures of my friend Judith's Solstice celebration tomorrow.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want a Granny Crunk to make me pudding cake; I am coming to steal yours!!! The veggie dog on your picnic plate looks so delicious, perfectly grilled!

Anonymous said...

What brand of veggie dog is that? It looks tasty!

ZippyZu said...

Aww Granny Crunk is the cutest, and awesome for making something that looks so amazing as that cake- I wish I was having some of that for breakfast.. P.S. I love making new traditions- it's the most fun :-)

jessy said...

grill'n out on Father's Day and the Summer Solstice rocks so hard! you and your dad are just too cute! :) how awesome that you celebrated with your grandparents, too! your grandma is too sweet to make ya some rock'n potato salad (the garnish = the best) and her chocolate hot fudge pecan pudding cake looks to die for, Bianca! mmmmmmmmmmmm! hooray for veggie dogs with kraut & mustard - that's just the way i like 'em, too! w00t!

Lisa said...

you might have the world's coolest Granny for making great vegan dishes for you!

Anonymous said...

Aww, Happy Father's Day to Papa Crunk and Grandpa Crunk!

Granny Crunk is amazing for making those dishes for you! YUM!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

oh my god, Granny Crunk's cake looks amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

that potato salad looks divine and the pudding.seems like u had a nice day.Are those Yves hotdogs?

Sophia said...

That pudding cake looks delicious! Your Granny is so nice for veganizing all those desserts for you!

Anonymous said...

That fudge cake looks soooo good. It looks so gooey and fudgey. Granny Crunk is awesome for veganizing it for you!

It sounds like you guys had a nice time on Sunday. Grilling with the family is always fun. I am sure Papa Crunk had an awesome Father's Day!

Susan G said...

Granny Crunk is awesome! No one in my family even gets what a vegan is.

Mary said...

That cake sounds delicious! Can't wait for the recipe. Grandpa Crunk is adorable, and you look so much like him!

Gina said...

Oooh, food looks fabulous!! So nice that Granny made a separate potato salad for you, it sounds yummy (I LOVE potato salad).

A said...

Awe papa crunk is so cute in his recliner!! And your granny is so sweet for veganizing stuff for you! You are a lucky girl!!!!!!
-A

Anonymous said...

The cake looks so good.
When is your cookbook coming out?

Peanut Butter Swirl said...

happy belated fathers day :)
mmm your veggie dog looks amazing!! I love faux-meat products because they always have fun flavors. haha

Jen said...

i love your granny crunk. that pudding cake is my fave. vegan a go go has a similar recipe and it is sooooo good.

aTxVegn said...

The perfect Father's Day dinner. Your granny is the so good to you. I used to love the fudge cake at Shoney's. I am dying for the recipe!

East Village Vegan said...

Looks like you had a lovely time with the family. Great of others to veganized versions for you. If only I could get my family to do so:)

Cyn said...

Oh my GOD, I cannot wait to try that cake. That looks AMAZING. And yay for your veganizing granny! Everything else looks delicious too.

Erin said...

Glad you had a nice day. That fudge cake looks out of control!