Hemp seeds are kind of expensive, at least for my cheap taste. Since I purchased a bag of hemp seeds to make Dreena Burton's Spicoli Burgers last week, I decided to also try her Apple Hemp Muffins.
The recipe is featured in the March/April issue of VegNews. I've been eating a couple of these every morning since Tuesday, along with a banana and a glass of pecan milk (leftover from Monday's raw food day). Tasty, wholesome, and quite filling.
Unfortunately, I accidentally bought applesauce with high-fructose corn syrup to go in the muffins. I should have read the ingredients. Oops! The recipe called for unsweetened applesauce, but I didn't specify "unsweetened" on my grocery list. And I never would have imagined applesauce would be sweetened with nasty HFCS. Never trust the food companies, I guess.
Yesterday, I was tagged by Kittee Kake to name five things about myself (I actually planned on stealing this survey from Poopie Bitch two weeks ago, but forgot). At the end of this post, I'll tag five others. So here goes:
1. I graduated with the highest GPA in my college department (College of Communications) at Arkansas State University in 2002. I had a 3.8 GPA. In high school, I graduated with a 4.0. But in real life, I'm a little ditzy.
2. My degree is in Photojournalism, but except for taking food photos, I rarely put my skills to use. Now, I'm a reporter for an alternative newspaper.
3. I have an unhealthy obsession with the emo-punk band Fall Out Boy. I don't care how uncool that is. Pete Wentz is a hottie (even if he did just get engaged to Ashley Simpson). Drummer Andy Hurley is a vegan, by the way.
4. I'm the mother of five wonderful critters. Datsun, my 80-pound mutt, is the oldest. Then there are four cats — Akasha, Pandora, Polaris, and Gelfing. Datsun's a good dog, but the cats are evil. Though I pay the bills at my apartment, the cats rule. They lay wherever they want (kitchen counters, etc.), break whatever they want, eat whatever they want (plants, herbs, my shoes).
5. I have two tattoos and six piercings (if you count the ears). Both ears are pierced twice, my tongue is pierced, and my labret is pierced. The VEGAN tattoo you see in my blog pic is on the inside of my right wrist. I also have a Brian Froud faery on my back. I'm an air sign (Libra) so I love faeries!
Jennifer at Veg*n Cooking and Other Random Musings
Kumquat Peekaboo at The Path of the Vegan
Veggie at So What Does a Vegetarian Eat Anyway?
Mihl at Seitan Is My Motor
Alice at Alice In Veganland