Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Bianca Pizza!!!

My name - Bianca - means "white" in Italian and "fair one" in French. And yes, I'm pretty pale thanks to my German-Scottish-Irish heritage (sorry, no Italian or French in the family tree ... I was named after Mick Jagger's ex-wife). As a word, "Bianca" or "Bianco" is pretty commonly used to describe white wines or creamy Italian dishes. But as a name, it's still a little rare. So whenever I see anything with "Bianca" on it, I have to buy it, drink it, or eat it.

When I stumbled on "Bianca Pizza with Tofu Boursin" in while flipping through a copy of The Complete Vegan Kitchen by Jannequin Bennett in Kroger, I knew I had to have the book just so I could make that dish. Tonight, I finally found the time to whip together a whole wheat pizza crust and the creamy Tofu Boursin topping:


This is supposed to be the vegan version of the Pizza Bianco, a white cheese pizza with garlic and olive oil but no tomato sauce. As a kid, it was my favorite kind of pizza, for obvious reasons. Though Bennett's version wasn't much like the one I remember, it was still delish.


The Tofu Boursin consists of cashews, tofu, garlic, lemon juice, and herbs. It reminded me more of ricotta cheese than the stringy mozzerella that once topped my favorite pie. Topped with fresh chives from Granny's herb garden and served with a side salad of baby spinach and cherry tomatoes, this made for a very satisfying meal. And thankfully, there's plenty of leftofvers!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your name! It's so beautiful. =)

I've never tried boursin before, but it looks good nonetheless, and this pizza looks even better! Who says pizza needs to have tomatoes? Pfft!

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

mmmmmmm

so pretty. i want a piece.

Unknown said...

Bianca is such a gorgeous name! Bernard and Bianca, for the win. no I mean it! it was my favorite movie when I was a kid.
and Boursin? always been my favorite.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I DID know that Bianca meant "white," but I didn't know that it also meant "fair one" - so lovely! I too have a very pale/light complexion :0)

That boursin looks delicious, atop the pizza crust! yum!

J said...

Your name is really pretty. You should figure out a way to work it into your cookbook title!

That pizza looks fantastic! And I don't even like tofu!

Alicia said...

In Spain there are actually a lot of women called Blanca (which is the translation of Bianca). The pizza looks very good, almost like a quiche!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I agree with Romina-- your name is beautiful and unique!

And the pizza looks beautiful too!

Jess said...

Oh, my gosh--I totally remember Bianca Jagger! From before Jerry Hall... She's gorgeous & so is that name! It really is lovely. And I'm in the "pale girls club," too. I prefer the term "porcelain," though. :) It sounds fancier...

That pizza looks A-MAY-ZING! Send me some!

Cindy Mc said...

Sorry--I'll take my Bianca without the pizza! Hey, check out my friend Carol's blog. She's the food writer I was telling you about. She's definitely not vegan (I think her favorite food is dead pig), but she's a chef and does food tours and she would be someone good for you to network with on the food writing thing. Her blog is at hungrypassport.blogspot.com. I told her about you the last time I talked with her; I think she is going to bring some information for me to give you when she comes home for a visit next month.

Theresa said...

I love the name Bianca. And I'm with Celine, Bernard and Bianca from the Rescuers (and the Rescuers Down Under, of course) were totally my heroes as a kid.

Kumquat Peekapoo said...

What a fitting dish! It looks and sounds as beautiful as your name :)

Anonymous said...

Pizza is one of my favorite food groups (hehe).

What could be better than a pizza named after you? It look delish!

The zombie march! I forgot! I don't even know how to dress up like a zombie! What time will you be going? Are you guys meeting somewhere first? It sounds like so much fun, I would love to do it!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

almond joy martini?! That DOES sound badass… don’t worry, I love girly drinks too! Guys make fun of me for my affinity for those sickly-sweet wine coolers!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Are you okay? What happened?! I'm so sorry you're dealing with all that - let me know if I can do anything, seriously.

Thank you so much for all the info! Unfortunately, my sister (not the one you met, the other one) called me last night and reminded me that she's having a party tonight, and I had promised I would be there. Ugh! I want to be a zombie SO BAD :(

It totally sucks that I can't come - I would MUCH rather do that than go to my sister's house. Plus I have to take food, otherwise there won't be anything I can eat!

I hope you guys have an awesome time, be sure to take some pictures of your un-dead self! And I hope everything with the accident turns out okay and that you aren't hurt!

Kumquat Peekapoo said...

I just got my first issue of VegNews, and there's your pretty face! Well done proof that you can be vegan anywhere!

Anonymous said...

i was named after billy joel's daughter! seriously, mom, wtf? also the pizza looks really delicious. i'm so excited to know that there are indeed vegans in memphis, home of the barbeque sauce-slathered dead pig.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information, we will add this story to our blog, as we have a audience in this sector that loves reading like this”
Pizza Equipment