Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Grocery Day

Yesterday was Grocery Day! There are few things I enjoy more than perusing the aisles of the supermarket, checking off my list and throwing the occasional impulse purchase into the cart. I'm sure it's how an artist must feel when she's selecting paints or other mediums in the supply shop. Judging by this photo, my cat Gelfling loves grocery day too!



The goods:
Veggie Booty (I'm so glad these are safe to eat again!)
Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (usually get bulk, but they were out)
Organic Baby Spinach
Veganaise
365 Brand Soymilk (2 packs)
Paulaner Hefe-weisen Ale (for tomorrow night's fried tofu chicken)
Cantalope
Grapefruit
Red and white onions
Lime
Organic Carrots
Raw Cashews
365 Brand Organic Firm Tofu (3 packs)
Cherry Tomatoes (totally an impulse buy)
Liquid Smoke

Not pictured (because I started to put groceries up before taking the pic): Hard Winter Wheat Berries and Green Tea

I spend hours planning out my menus for a two-week timeframe. I get paid every two weeks, so I shop for two weeks of food. I usually don't buy things that go bad quickly until the night before though. Like this time, I held off on the mushrooms and asparagus...will buy that sometime next week.

I'm such a foodie nerd!

7 comments:

Alicia said...

I can't believe you bought a cat to eat the next two weeks! bad bad vegan ;-)
I also love grocery shopping, I only wish I were more organized...

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

food-shopping is seriously one of my all-time favorite activities - I LOVE it!! I think you'd enjoy reading the blog post that I wrote, a few months ago, on the subject:

http://veggiegirlvegan.blogspot.com/2008/02/groceries-blondies.html

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

there's a ".html" after the word groceries :0)

J said...

Your kitty is so cute!

I love seeing what others get for groceries! And I can't wait for cantaloupe to be available, it's my favorite fruit.

I plan my meals a week or more in advance so I can be prepared to go to the grocery store. ;-)

Marisa L. S. said...

I need to do what you do. Spend hours deciding on menus for a week or two and then grocery shop only 1-2 times over a 2 week period. I'll go to the produce market one day and then be at the supermarket two days later and then Whole Foods two days after that. I definately need to be more organized in the kitchen!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Yay for food shopping!!!

I am so jealous of your black cat. I think black cats (bad luck myth aside) are the SWEETEST cats, and I've always wanted one (my mom and sister and allergic, and my apartment won't allow pets-- boo).

Veggie said...

I love grocery day! Cute kitty. There's always a little black cat checking out the groceries at my house too.