Sunday, April 6, 2008

My Mate Marmite

I have a new favorite thing! Marmite and tofu "cottage cheese" on toast. That's what I had for breakfast on Friday and Saturday morning.



A while back, Steph from Poopie Bitch blogged about Marmite, the yeast extract spread popular in England. In her comment section, I asked where to find it in the States. She didn't know, but since her husband is British, she apparantly has a surplus. So she brought me a jar at Thursday's Food Awareness meeting.

She warned that I may not like it and that it was really salty. I eat bouillion cubes and seasoning salt straight from the bottle (I know, I know, that's a lot of sodium), so I was sure I'd love it. And I do! It tastes like yeasty veggie stock seasoning. The key is spreading it really thin.

Marmite is a great source of B vitmins, especially riboflavin and B12 (which vegans need to be certain to get). The jar suggests spreading it on toast with cottage cheese. So I googled "tofu cottage cheese" and found a recipe that called for tofu, Veganaise, and a pinch of sugar.

I didn't measure anything out because I only made enough to spread on a couple slices of toast. But I used about a fourth block of tofu, about a tablespoon of Veganaise, a tiny pour of soymilk (to give it that liquidy consistancy that cottage cheese has), and just a teensy pinch of sugar. It tasted JUST LIKE cottage cheese ... or at least what I remember it tasting like.

11 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who loooves salt! Haha, my family actually has such LOW blood pressure that my doctor at one point told me I needed to eat MORE salt! I was happy to oblige!

(I just can't seem to enjoy marmite though, no matter how hard I try to like it!)

Anonymous said...

My mom loves marmite (she's a huge fan of salt, hence her high blood pressure) and I tried it once as a child. Haven't tried it since. The taste was just far too strong for my young tastebuds. I think I'll have to give it another try! (I'm sure my mom won't mind buying a jar)

Sam said...

I tried marmite once, when I was younger. (My mom went to England and brought some back.) I remember spitting it right out, it wasn't what I was expecting at all! Though if I came accross it now,I'd be willing to give it another shot!

Anonymous said...

Yay Marmite! I had some just this morning - although without the tofu cottage cheese. I have got to try that out though, thanks for the recipe!

I know, the rain was crazy last week! I had to deliver the wedding cake in West Memphis, so going over the bridge was a sight for sure - I don't remember ever seeing the water reach that far before. I'm glad the sun is finally out again!

Veggie said...

Wow, I can't imagine eating bouillion straight from the jar.

I haven't tried Marmite, but I did try Vegemite a few years ago. It's way to strong for me, definately an aquired taste.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Four cats?! YOU must have a huge heart too! I wish I could adopt a cat-- I've always wanted a black one (screw the old-wives-tale that they bring bad luck!). But my mom and sister are allergic, and my new apartment won't allow pets. So I guess I'm going to have to wait a while longer. In the meantime, I have a black dog that sometimes ACTS like a cat! (She hates water, and she likes to climb and to scratch things.)

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

i have a huge jar of marimite that needs to be used! what a great way to use it!

urban vegan said...

I've never tried Marmite, but being a saltoholic, I'm sure I'd like it, too.

Kumquat Peekapoo said...

I've never heard of marmite, but I love salt (too much probably), so I'll have to figure out how to get some in the U.S.

KitteeBee said...

I almost picked up a jar of marmite the other day, I used to keep it in my pantry regularly for a "beefy" seitan recipe, but have someone stopped stapling it for whatever reason. Glad to see you enjoying it straight out of the jar.

xo
kittee

Theresa said...

Mm, marmite is good, but I love love love vegemite. I guess it's because I'm in Australia, and marmite is british, but I find vegemite is saltier.... marmite to me has sweet-ish undertones!

Regardless, yeasty mites make great beef-style veggie broth for gravy and soup!