Tuesday, April 29, 2008

We All Scream for Soybeans!

Tonight I made Soybean Stroganoff from "More Fabulous Beans" by Barb Bloomfield:


I had some cooked frozen soybeans leftover from the last time I made Soybean Burritos, so I thawed them out for this recipe. It was totally simple (soybeans, soymilk, mushrooms, onion, soy sauce, cornstarch, and whole wheat pasta) and very comforting. I'd been craving some home-cooked comfort food since last week's car wreck, but I've been too busy to cook. Finally, I had a night with a little extra time.

The book, which features over 100 recipes using all kinds of beans, was written by a lady who lives on The Farm, the old hippie commune/intentional community in Summertown, Tennessee. I stayed with her and her husband Neal when I visited The Farm last summer, and she made the BEST food - BBQ tofu, roasted squash, spicy tofu scramble, homemade yogurt. Barb is awesome! I bought her book before leaving The Farm and she autographed it for me.

You guys should check it out if you get a chance. Beans are such a fab protein source, and one that I often forget about in favor of tofu, tempeh, or seitan. I should eat more beans.

7 comments:

Alicia said...

It looks great, I've never eaten soybeans, I think... I found out, since I went vegan, I'm eating A LOT more beans than before, and a lot less tofu. And I crave beans all the time, which I didn't before...
Glad to hear you feel recovered from the accident!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Wow, what a fun take on the traditional Stroganoff dish!

So glad that you're feeling better - keep it up!

J said...

I love beans! Pretty much any kind but lima! This looks like a good cookbook for someone who loves beans and dislikes tofu!

Glad to hear you're on the up-and-up.

Jess said...

I LOVE beans! This dish looks so delicious.

Also... Check my page for the winner of the Liz Lovely giveaway! Something tells me you'll be happy... [wink wink]

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I've been thinking about my need for eating more beans as well. We should all be in to beans & greens!

Anonymous said...

yum! soy is amazing. i don't think japanese food wouldn't taste good at all without soy!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Congrats on your cookie win! You're going to share with me, right? Right? ;o)

(And yummy-looking stroganoff too!)