Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Vegan Rachel Ray?

Okay, so I'm nowhere near as annoying as Rachel Ray ... at least I don't think I am. But tonight, I led a hummus-making demo at my vegetarian group's monthly meeting.

Here I am doing my best Vanna White on the food processor:



Our group, Food Awareness, meets on the first Thursday of each month at Wild Oats in Memphis. We plan activities, like vegan dinner outings, potlucks, and leafleting events. This month we're all going out to Java, Juice & Jazz (the new vegan soul food place) for lunch. We're hosting veggie info booths at a couple of Earth Day Fests. And we're dressing like zombies and handing out veggie info at the city's annual Zombie March downtown. Last year, over 200 people dressed like zombies and marched through the tourist hotspots! It was so much fun! We like to bring veggie leaflets with us. After all, if anyone needs a good talking to about the benefits of a vegetarian diet, it's zombies. They eat brains, for god sake!

Before the meeting, I scarfed down a TLT — Tempeh Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato. I needed to use the rest of my tempeh bacon. Served on sprouted grain bread with Veganaise, tomato, and spring greens ... yum!



I bought Datsun, my doggie, a special carob and yogurt cookie at this pet supply store in Cordova called Little John's Animall. He really didn't want to wait for me to snap this picture. You can see the anticipation in his face. Isn't he precious?

10 comments:

VeganCowGirl said...

Hey Vanna,
The TBL looks great! And HOW CUTE is your puppy?

J said...

You look adorable in that demo picture! Awesome for you doing a demo like that, you COULD be the vegan, non-annoying Rachel Ray!

And that pup is too cute.

Anonymous said...

I see you didn't go with the 'eyes completely closed' picture :) The hummus demo was awesome though - there wasn't anything left!

Your puppy is so adorable.

Marisa L. S. said...

I read your feature in Veg News! Makes me want to plan another visit to Memphis! Then I could attend your veg group too! Your doggy is adorable too!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you like the Marmite! It took me a while to get used to it, but now I can't get enough. The tofu cottage cheese with it is a great idea!

Thanks again for inviting me to your group, I really enjoy it. I'm looking forward to lunch next weekend, too!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Hahahahahaha!

I would SO watch your show if you had one on the food network!

Veggie said...

your TLT reminds me that summer tomatoes are just around the corner.

MeloMeals said...

What fun! I love teaching cooking classes... spreading vegan love is so cool!

Your dog is adorable..

Andréa said...

The sandwich looks delicious! And your doggie is very cute. You look terrific in the picture and I'm so sure you're not annoying.
Cheers.

Anonymous said...

You look so cute blending things in your hummus demonstration thingie!!! I'm so proud.