Monday, March 10, 2008

Veggie Ribs and Taters!

Tonight, I spent some time perfecting my Twice-Baked Tater recipe for my cookbook.



The cheese-looking stuff is Follow Your Heart Monterey Jack, but faux Cheddar probably would have been prettier. I only had Jack in the fridge though. I baked the potatoes last night, and then scooped the insides out when I got home from the gym tonight. I mixed in some seasonings, leeks, and garlic. Then I re-stuffed, and topped with vegan cheese. Yum!

Since I wanted to concentrate on measuring things out for the potato recipe, I opted for a quick entree — instant barbecue seitan ribs. My dad bought this stuff as part of my Valentine's basket from Food Fight Grocery. I'd tried them before, and they were just as amazing this time around.





It's just a powder mix (vital gluten flour and some seasonings). Add a little water and glaze with tahini, and then bake for 10 minutes. Then you baste with a cup of barbecue sauce. This sauce is my cookbook recipe for "Memphis-Style Barbecue Sauce" — smoky, sweet, and heavy on the vinegar.

Luckily, I've got plenty of potatoes and ribs to last me a few days worth of lunches ... I doubt I'll be posting tomorrow as I'm having a quick bite before meeting some friends at 7 p.m. But I'll be back with tasty pics later this week.

8 comments:

J said...

I just found your blog! I love it! I hope it's alright that I've added you to my blogroll....

Those taters look fantastic! Yum! I really have to stop looking at food blogs at work so close to lunch!

:-)

MeloMeals said...

I love your blog!


I'll definitely buy your cookbook when it comes out.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Those instant ribs look amazing... I'm going to have to check them out (maybe on veganessentials.com or something).

You're writing a cookbook? I'll buy it for sure!!!

Monika K said...

Sweet blog!

Anonymous said...

Yum! I've actually never made twice baked potatoes, but I love potatoes so much I really don't know why I haven't tried them yet.

And the veggie ribs look delicious!

Where do you find Follow Your Heart cheese? I forgot to look at Wild Oats when I was there, and I can't find vegan cheese ANYWHERE else. Everywhere I look I find soy cheese with casein and other milk derivatives added.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I will get some FYH cheese next time I'm over near Wild Oats.

If you like cake decorating (and who doesn't?) you should come to a meeting sometime. I think they only get together once every couple of months, and there is talk of playing with airbrushes at the May meeting.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure when the next meeting will be, but I think it will be in May. I will definitely let you know.

Most commercial brands of fondant are vegan, but be careful because a few have gelatin added (ew).

Anonymous said...

Ooooh I've been eyeing those ribs on Food Fight and almost got them last time I ordered stuff. Glad to know they are good!