Sunday, March 2, 2008

Mellow Mushroom

I spent this past weekend in Nashville with my boyfriend Paul. On Saturday night, we dined at Mellow Mushroom before going out to B.B. King's and Play (one of Nashville's gay clubs).

Though Mellow Mushroom specializes in pizza, I couldn't resist the Tempeh Hoagie:



It's marinated teriyaki tempeh with tomato, lettuce, mushrooms, and red onions on a wheat bun. Normally, it also comes with feta cheese and mayo, but I requested that stuff be left off. It was supposed to have sprouts too, but for some reason, they were mysteriously missing. But it was still so delicious!

Mellow Mushroom is a chain of hippie-themed pizza joints, and not only do they serve yummy tempeh hoagies, they also have tempeh and tofu as pizza toppings! That's exciting when you live in a very non-vegan friendly town like Memphis. Next time, I'm going to order a cheeseless tofu pizza.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That tempeh hoagie is packed!

Anonymous said...

Yum! I've never heard of Mellow Mushroom, but it sure sounds like my kind of place! It sucks that a joint like that would probably not be able to survive in our area.

As for finding Marmite around here - good luck! My husband is from England and everytime we make a visit we bring back a few staples, one of which is a giant jar of Marmite. I do think I've seen it in the 'international' section of the Kroger in Collierville, but just the teeny tiny jars.

I will definitely try to make it to the meeting on Thursday - that sounds like fun! I need to do some shopping anyway. Oh, and I've never had tofu scramble, so I'm excited about that!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads-up on the tornados, I certainly don't want to get blown away! I know, what is up with the wacky weather? Even more crazy than usual it seems!

If you've never had Marmite my only advice is: you have to like salty things, and you have to spread it v-e-r-y thin. Like, almost none at all.

The leafleting and faux meat handouts sound awesome! I totally forgot about Great American Meatout Day - I'd love to help out! And veggie potlucks? That sounds right up my alley. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Bianca that's too weird- I was out of town the same weekend visiting my boyfriend & we also ate at the local Mellow Mushroom Saturday night! We had a pizza with tempeh mushrooms & spinach & it was soooo good. I fucking love their pizza!