Sunday, March 16, 2008

Spring Roll Fever


Only three days until spring!!! And what better way to celebrate than with Asian spring rolls!

Sorry for the poor picture quality. I only took three pics before my batteries died, and this was the best of the three. I used my leftover cabbage from Thursday's Sauteed Cabbage with some frozen silk tofu, shredded carrots, and ginger to stuff my rice paper rolls.

The tofu was a half-pack of silk tofu I'd frozen after using it in a recipe a few weeks ago. I'd never frozen silk tofu before, and I wasn't sure if it'd even be edible when thawed. But it was perfect for this dish. After thawing in the microwave and squeezing out the water, the tofu got all crumbly and shredded-like. I'm going to start freezing all my leftover silk tofu to use in dishes that call for shredded tofu, like BBQ sandwiches.

At the back of the plate is my Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce, which was definately the star of the dish. So simple to whip together yet so freakin' tasty. I didn't write everything down or measure all that well, but I'll try to re-create the recipes from memory.

Shredded Tofu Spring Rolls

4 rice paper spring roll sheets
1/2 small head cabbage, shredded
1/2 package of frozen silk tofu, thawed and crumbled
1 carrot, shredded
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 tsp. fresh grated ginger
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
Soy sauce

Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet. Add onion and cook until soft. Add cabbage, carrot, tofu, and ginger. Saute on medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Add a sprinkling of soy sauce to taste. Continue to cook until cabbage is very soft.

Run warm water over rice paper sheets, one at a time, until they soften. Place a large spoonful of filling in the center of a rice paper sheet, and roll up like a burrito.


Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce

2 Tbsp. crunchy, all-natural peanut butter
1 Tbsp. hoison sauce
1/2 tsp. roasted red chili paste (I used Thai Kitchen brand)
3 Tbsp. water

Combine and microwave for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until peanut butter is hot and melty. Stir to combine well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never made my own spring rolls before, not sure why though, they look like so much fun to make!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Those look so good, I'm hungry just looking at them.

J said...

Yummy! Spring rolls! I still haven't been able to find rice paper. :-(

Those look fabulous!

And dipped in spicy peanut sauce? OH MY! I want so, send the extras my way!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

LOL you can't eat my dogs-- that's not vegan! Stick with those delicious-looking spring rolls instead. I bet they taste better anyways ;o).

I can't believe you never went to the dentist until you were 24! And I am even more amazed that your teeth were in such good health regardless! You must do a really good job brushing :o).

Veggie said...

Those sound great, I love spring rolls.