Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Rustic Eats

Tonight, I made "Rustic White Beans with Mushrooms" from the Veganomicon. I'm not sure why these beans are described as "rustic," but today's dish was satisfying in a good old-fashioned comfort food sort of way ... maybe that's why.



Those green things you see are leeks, and this was my first time cooking with them (or even eating them at all, as far as I know). I'd always assumed they'd taste just like a green onion, and though the taste is similar, the Nomicon promised the leeks would make the dish extra creamy. And indeed, these beans were super creamy. So leeks must work some kind of special onion magic.

I prepared the beans in the pressure cooker I got for Christmas. So far, I've had lots of problems with it overcooking vegetables. But it did the beans just right — not too soupy but not too mushy. The cookbook recommended boiling dry white beans for 45 minutes, but it only took 30 in the pressure cooker.

On the side, I had "Tomato Couscous with Capers" (also from the Veganomicon):



It was the dish suggested to accompany the beans in the intro to its recipe. And, other than whole wheat couscous, I already had everything in my pantry to make it. I picked up some couscous at Kroger. Oddly enough, Wild Oats did not have whole grain couscous, only the seminola version. But I found plenty at Kroger.

This dish was also delicious. Since it's spiced with ground cloves and cayenne, it had a bit of an African taste. The beans, however, tasted like downhome Southern cookin'. But somehow the two dishes paired amazingly well together. I'll be having more for leftovers tomorrow!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really must try that couscous, it's flagged in my book, but I can never think of what to eat it with. Maybe just a big bowl of couscous will be good on its own. =)

Anonymous said...

I just got my copy of Veganomicon and Vegan with a Vengeance yesterday (along with my copy of Skinny Bitch), and I can't wait to start trying new recipes from them. Your white beans look so good - I may have to try that recipe first. I could use some comfort food!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Yum, your food always looks so good! Hehe, if I convinced Ruby Red to be my breakfast chef and you to be my dinner chef, I’d be in vegan heaven :o). Oh, and you’re very welcome about the google stat thing. I’m glad it’s working for ya.

Unknown said...

Couscous is always good on its own. To me, that is. Couscous is the only "grain" or starch I really, really like on it's own (I don't like rice or pasta, etc). And it's so quick! And simple! I just bring veg broth to a boil with olive oil and a dash of salt. Then add the couscous and let it sit (covered) until all it fluffs up and absorbs all the liquid. I can eat couscous like this (I like it simple; some people might find it bland) or add in tomatoes, zucchini, onions, whatever I have on hand. Yumm!!