Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Beans and Greens

Last night, I celebrated St. Patty's Day with some friends at Celtic Crossing, a little Irish pub in Midtown. But first, I threw together a quick Soybean Burrito:



I got the idea for Soybean Burritos from The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook. I seasoned the soybeans with chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and a little nutritional yeast. They suggested making your own tortillas, but I really didn't have time for all that. After all, green beer was waiting (I gave up beer recently after reading Skinny Bitch, but it was a special occasion).



I piled a whole wheat wrap with beans, Follow Your Heart Monterey Jack vegan cheese, diced tomato, black olives, spring mix, and Wild Oats Mango Peach Salsa. I'd planned on adding avocado as well, but when I cut my avocado open, it was all nasty and black inside. Ew! I was pretty upset about it, but I could barely close the burrito as it was so the avocado situation was probably for the best.

On the side, I steamed some Broccolini:



I love, love, love Broccolini. It's so much more tender than regular broccoli, and I rarely see it in the grocery store. When I do, I always scoop up a bundle. In case you've never tried it, Broccolini is a hybrid of regular broccoli and Chinese chard. It tastes and feels a little like a cross between asparagus and broccoli. I steamed it in my bamboo steamer and seasoned with a little sea salt and black pepper. So simple.

7 comments:

J said...

That burrito makes me happy just looking at it! I love burritos, and anything that can be in any way Mexican-ish or spicy. Yummmmmmmmmm.

I hate when you get a bad avocado.

I've never had broccolini, I've seen it at the store though. I'm going to have to try it!

Hope you had fun with your green beer!

(I just picked up my copy of Skinny Bitch Sunday! I had to have our local alternative bookstore order it. I've already read over 65 pages! I had to put it down because I wasn't finished with the book I was reading before that.)

Anonymous said...

Bean burritos!! Hurrah!! There's nothing I love more in a wrap than beans. =)

MeloMeals said...

I try and try again to enjoy soybeans.. but after the first couple of bites they just don't thrill me... now, I love me some soymilk and tofu is my best friend... I have a bunch of soybeans.... and make food with them.... but hate to say they aren't my favorite.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Mmm I just adore broccolini... and I think you definitely made the right decision in taking a break from yor "no-beer" rule for a day :o). HAPPY St. Patrick's Day!

Anonymous said...

I will have to keep my eyes open for broccolini - yum!

I totally read cookbooks cover to cover too, and have since I was a kid. I guess I've been weird for a long time!

I still haven't figured out how to save any other baked goods to bake fresh later, but for cookies it works perfectly. I know what you mean though, I usually end up giving away most of my baking endeavors - but I guess it's better than eating them all myself!

Veggie said...

Wow, living as a vegan in Memphis must be interesting. I saw your post at jennifer's blog, did you say you were at Dancing Rabbit?

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Veggie said...

I keep seeing this Broccolini on everyone's blog, thanks for explaining what it is.

I never know what to do with soybeans and my dad gave me a can of black soybeans recently, so bean burritos are the way to go, eh.

Steph,
I'm a total freak about cookbooks too, I still have my cookbooks from when I was a kid.
http://sowhatdoesavegetarianeat.blogspot.com/2007/11/veganmofo-cookbooks-from-my-childhood.html