Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Don't Skip Breakfast

In an effort to eat more greens, I made a big batch of steamed kale and brown rice on Sunday night to mix together for breakfast bowls all week long.



I threw in some yummy White Wave Thai-Style Sesame Peanut Baked Tofu for good measure. Then, I stirred in a few drops of soy sauce and a 1/2 teaspoon of flax oil. Wow, what an easy wholesome breakfast! I got whole grains, greens, and soy protein in one bowl. I washed it all down with fresh-squeezed orange juice, so I also started the day with a nice boost of Vitamin C too.

This dish would have been great with plain, marinated tofu as well. But the Sesame Peanut tofu at Wild Oats was calling me. Sesame Peanut tofu and kale may not sound all that breakfast-y, but I tend to eat just about anything for breakfast that I'd eat any other time of the day.

Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day for me. I get all nauseus and whiny if I don't eat some time in the hour after I've woken up. And nobody likes a whiny Bianca...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree that breakfast is important. If I don't eat as soon as I wake up I just don't know what to do. I go to bed dreaming of a yummy breakfast ahead, haha.

J said...

I love your savory breakfast! I'm personally not a big fan of tofu, but had never thought to make a bean, grain and greens breakfast bowl. What a good idea. I don't like things real sweet so I get stuck in a rut of oatmeal, fresh fruit, and Nature's Path Hemp Plus Raisin granola bars.

Anonymous said...

Yum! That looks so good. And yes, I have been on quite the baking kick lately, so I should probably shift gears and do something green and healthy for my breakfasts too.

I will see ya at lunch!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

LOL, your last sentence made me laugh! I get whiney too if I don't eat breakfast when I first wake up. Hehe, on Christmas day last year, my sister was all ready to open presents, but I was like, "I need some food first!"

I love the idea of tofu and greens for breakfast! I love traditional sweet breakfast foods, but sometimes I'd rather have the sweet foods like cereal or waffles as a snack. In fact, when I do eat waffles for breakfast, I usually have roasted Brussel's sprouts on the side!

Oh, and yes, Spiral Diner is a vegan diner and bakery-- the whole place is 100% vegan (no casein or whey to be found, even in their cheese!). It's awesome!

Theresa said...

My favourite part about traveling to Thailand was eating pad thai and fried rice for breakfast every day! That tofu and kale breakfast looks good to me!