Monday, March 3, 2008

Raw Food Monday, Again

Hey guys! Today was my second Raw Food Monday! It's a thing I'm doing on the first Monday of each month to cleanse myself of processed nasties.

For breakfast, I made Raw Muesli with Raw Almond Milk, served with green tea and fresh-juiced Apple Carrot Ginger Juice (made in my trusty Jack LaLanne juicer). The muesli and almond milk recipes came from "Raw Food Made Easy" by Jennifer Cornbleet.



The raw almond milk was sooo amazing, by far my favorite part of the day. It was so easy and creamy and delish! Way better than store-bought almond milk, and it's completely raw. I used Cornbleet's recipe. And since I don't have her permission, I'm not going to re-post it here. However, I did a quick Google search and a found a basic recipe for Almond Milk. The measurements are a little different, but it should come out similarly. It's located at the end of this post.



For lunch, I had a salad with baby spinach, spring mix, red pepper, black olives, carrots, green onion, and pecans. I made the Classic Vinaigrette from Cornbleet's book as a salad dressing.



For dinner, it was Zucchini Fettucine with Ailoli Sauce from "Alive in 5" by Angela Elliot. It was actually supposed to be Zucchini Spaghetti, but I don't have a spiral slicer. I used a veggie peeler to peel thin flat layers of raw zucchini. The sauce was a combo of olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice. Yum!



Finally, for dessert, I made the Chocolate Banana Shake from Cornbleet's book. It made use of the extra almond milk, but it turned out more like a mousse. Too thick for a straw, so I served it in a martini glass. It made me feel classy while I curled up in my PJs and stuffed my face with dessert over Will and Grace re-runs.



The best part — I have leftover almond milk for my non-raw Banana Flax Almond Green Tea cereal in the morning! Here's the recipe:

All-Natural Almond Milk

1 1/2 cups of raw almonds, soaked in water overnight
4 cups of filtered or spring water
3-5 dates (optional)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Blend 1 ½ cups of raw almonds that have been soaked overnight in 4 cups of water. Blend with dates if you like your milk with a hint of sweetness. Strain once with cheesecloth to remove almond granules. It can be stored safely for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had your creativity with raw food. Everything you've made looks so yummy!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I already posted this once, but then I tried to figure out if I could edit it and wound up deleting it... yeah, I'm not having a very technologically competant day :)

I may try making the almond milk, that sounds SO good. Did you use the dates? I just bought a package of them at Fresh Market last night for snacking, but I'd be willing to sacrifice a few for some delicious almond milk!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Wow, that zucchini seriously DOES look like pasta!

I think I could be a raw-foodist if you were there to cook for me!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I will probably try that recipe this week sometime... hopefully I won't enjoy it TOO much, though - as you said, raw almonds can get pretty pricey!